real time web analytics
Report - - Glenroyal Cinema - Shipley W.Yorks - Aug '10 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Glenroyal Cinema - Shipley W.Yorks - Aug '10

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Hidden

28DL Full Member
Glenroyal Cinema - Shipley - West Yorkshire - August 2010

Visited with Host.

4505551468_6b8d719db7.jpg

Well, we got there eventually, after captain Sat Nav tried to send us to Leeds, we worked it out and turned up after another busy morning in your Mills.

Well, trashed in parts, beatiful in others, smells bad and is full of debris but overall is a really nostalgic place, with lots of reminders of its original proposition, a cinema! Projectors, film reels, paperwork, bulbs etc all floating around the place.

A brief history as its been done a few times recently by other members.

The Shipley Picture House Company (later to become Glenroyal Cinema Company) built this showpiece super-cinema, the 1200-seater Glenroyal in a prime position in Briggate and only a few yards away from the old and now defunct Shipley Picture House. It was the idea of Shack Hyde as this was to become the flagship of his A.S Hyde Circuit and built at a cost of 25,000 GBP with over seventy percent of the work done by local labour and materials supplied by local tradesmen.

During late 2003, the prominent position and the height of the old Glenroyal building had not escaped the attention of mobile phone and communication companies who have just added a tubular steel safety railing on the roof above the former projection room and large antennae masts have appeared.
With so much of the original features of the Glenroyal still in existence it must surely be possible to restore it to its former glory. Such restoration has been done successfully in other much older cinema halls around Yorkshire. All that is needed is someone with the vision and business acumen of the late Shack Hyde to bring back some character, atmosphere and individuality that is sadly lacking from today's multiplex cinemas.

The Pictures...

(Courtesy of Google Images, forgot to take my own external)

dscf3980g.jpg

Upon entry, I was a bit dissapointed if I'm being honest...

DSC_0546-1.jpg

DSC_0489-1.jpg

DSC_0471.jpg

DSC_0481-1.jpg

DSC_0465.jpg
DSC_0457.jpg

DSC_0462.jpg

DSC_0460.jpg

DSC_0493.jpg

Into the Projection Room

DSC_0512-1.jpg

DSC_0522.jpg

DSC_0519-1.jpg
DSC_0505.jpg

DSC_0526.jpg

DSC_0523-2.jpg

DSC_0507.jpg

DSC_0534-1.jpg

DSC_0516.jpg

A quick nosey in the rafters...

DSC_0528-3.jpg

DSC_0530.jpg

Paperwork and Blueprints dotted about...

DSC_0536-1.jpg

DSC_0542-1.jpg

Myself actually being a Shadow, and kind of hidden.

DSC_0487.jpg

And thats all, cheers for viewing! :thumb

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 2) View details