real time web analytics
Report - - Steyning Firing Range, Sussex, Aug '10 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Steyning Firing Range, Sussex, Aug '10

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

the126

Reckless & irresponsible
28DL Full Member
Steyning Rifle Range was first used in the late nineteenth century to train army volunteers.The last shots were fired in the mid 80's and since then the whole area has been kept as a conservation area. A map from c.1910 shows the range was up to 600 yards long.

There are 8 target lifts still in place hidden behind a large mound as well as the fire control room but the local chavs use it as a camp by the looks of it

Shot up keep out sign
IMG_0300.jpg

blast walls
IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

Old metal door, has traces of red paint on it
IMG_0319.jpg

Some lead i found in the hill behind the targets, there must be tons of these buried here
IMG_0327.jpg

All thats left of the firing point was a mound and these bits of metal (looking towards the targets)
IMG_0331.jpg

The only cartridge case i found
IMG_0333.jpg

the126

Reckless & irresponsible
28DL Full Member
It is very easy to find, the whole place is open access land/ nature reserve. Google 'Steyning ranges'

SteveStocker

28DL Member
28DL Member
Back in the late 70s I used to go shooting 303 rifles with Crawley 2306 squadron Air cadets, strange to see it again as I have fond memories pulling targets up and down in the butts, shots used to echo out around the downs a we spend a glorious day shooting old 303 rifles.

jez moore

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Back in the late 70s I used to go shooting 303 rifles with Crawley 2306 squadron Air cadets, strange to see it again as I have fond memories pulling targets up and down in the butts, shots used to echo out around the downs a we spend a glorious day shooting old 303 rifles.

Used to go here with my old man Ken Moore the old C.O. of 2306!
Later joined No.6 Crawley Platoon Army Cadets and fired the old 303 myself before joining the regular army ...happy days