real time web analytics
Report - - Croatia -Yugoslavia main naval command center | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Croatia -Yugoslavia main naval command center

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

benkar

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As usual, my English is not the best, but I try... :gay

In the west part of the former Yugoslavia, now part of Croatia, on an island in the Adriatic Sea, high in the mountains, this command center was built in the 1970s, for the Yugoslav navy. ("Main naval command center")

It is difficult to find accurate facts, but an interesting task says that this plant probably has almost the same design as many of Saddam Hussein bunkers in Iraq, because they were designed by Yugoslav engineers before the first Gulf War.

Information says that the tunnel into the mountain is 400 meters long, and the stairs at one of the pictures are actually more than 80 steps long!

Farther up the mountain are traces of anti-aircraft positions and less concrete structures dating to the mid-1950s, hard to say if they have something with the command center to do, but probably not, that is probably related to an earlier fortification, when the island for a very long time been a Yugoslavian military site.

Croatia is an exciting country to visit, in large part because during the Croatian War of Independence 1991-1995 Yugoslav army (?) placed out large quantities of landmines around their facilities. "Rumors on the web" says that the forests and the area surrounding this facility is "full of mines". One should probably not take too easily to these rumors (but do not exaggerate the danger), and not run straight into the woods, but stick to the beaten track, and I survived anyway... :p

In view of the Croatian War of Independence 1991-1995, it is a guess that this plant was abandoned during/after this period, and in the current situation as is everything of value away picked, but a very exciting and interesting site to visit! :thumb

The entire gallery can be found HERE: Glömda rum/Utomlands/Kroatien/MarinensKommandocentral

/B

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg