real time web analytics
Report - - ABC Cinema, Cosham, Portsmouth - Nov 2010 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - ABC Cinema, Cosham, Portsmouth - Nov 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

chrisr86

Clumsy oaf
28DL Full Member
Visited here a couple of times - first time with AnotherMansCause (was a great birthday!) and second time visited alone.

A bit of history lifted from thedirtysouth.org:

Built in 1934, as The Carlton Cinema, the building was badly damaged during a bombing raid in World War II. 4 people died in the explosion but the cinema was renovated and reopened.

In 1982 it was again renovated and became a 3 screen cinema but, sadly, closed its door in 2007. Since then, the future of the building has been uncertain with locals frequently campaigning to stop demolition and conversion to student accommodation or flats.

Since opening as The Carlton in the 30s, this cinema has had many aliases: The Carlton; The Classic; Essoldo; Cannon; ABC and, before closure, was known as Cineplex.

Not exactly the most promising sight to greet you when you've just gained entry into an abandoned building.
DSC_0151.jpg

Mmmmm, three year old popcorn.
DSC_0155.jpg

The inevitable self-tagging.
DSC_0182.jpg

This is all over the main entrance.
DSC_0205.jpg

The oft-reported 'industrial scene' screen remains.
DSC_0207.jpg

DSC_0204.jpg

DSC_0201.jpg

Projector room switches.
DSC_0198.jpg

Had to be done.
DSC_0196.jpg

DSC_0187.jpg

DSC_0208.jpg

Looking out at the high street at night.
DSC_0203.jpg

I'm slowly getting the hang of my DSLR :)

On my second visit to this cinema, I heard doors slam inside and approaching murmuring conversation... I was creeped out to say the least! At least it wasn't security/police or anything, probably just fellow explorers.

Last edited by a moderator: