real time web analytics
Report - - The Commodore, Hammersmith, London, January 1982 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Commodore, Hammersmith, London, January 1982

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bovine

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Designed by George Coles, in a neo-classical style, this 2884 seater opened on 14 September 1929. Designed for cine-variety, it had a 50 foot wide proscenium and a 28 foot deep stage, with dressing rooms. Taken over by ABC on the 24 July 1933, it closed as a cinema on 8 June 1963, but then became a Mecca Bingo Club until 1981. Two Rolling Stones concerts were held here on Sunday, 10 January 1965.
Returning from watching blocks of flats being blown up in Leytonstone, I thought that it might be 'doable', being a Sunday, but the demo men were round the back! Managed to get these pics, before another guy and myself were told to f*ck off!
The site is now an office block called Quantas House, but incorporates the foundation stone, that was laid by Tallulah Bankhead in 1929.

c25CommodoreHammersmithLdon1981Small.jpg

Front view

c26Small.jpg

The demo mans ball hitting the proscenium

c29Small2.jpg

Down comes more masonry

c28Small.jpg

When the dust had cleared

c27Small.jpg

Crane in position for more destruction!

Mini nut

My local and favourite, gone.
Banned
Those "Tower" bastards were responsible for demolishing my local, and favourite, ODEON. This one looks a gem.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I wish I had seen a "ball" in action... it was all nibblers since I've been born!