Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cotton College - Staffordshire

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Default Cotton College - Staffordshire

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hi Guys.

As you know I am new here and dont own a DSLR as yet but I do intent having a look at Cotton College in the future.

I have looked on all the forums but I am quite supprised that no one has been in yet.

Some history: It was founded in 1763 by William Errington at Sedgley Park, Wolverhampton, at the recommendation of Bishop Richard Challoner. In 1873 it moved to Cotton Hall. The original house appears to date back to 1630 and was most probably built by the Morrice family before Thomas Gilbert moved there. This began an association of the Gilbert Family and the Earl of Shrewsbury as Land Agents and Industrial Entrepreneurs over the next decades till Cotton Hall was sold in 1884. After its sale to the Earl of Shrewsbury it was then used by the Oratorians, and then the Passionists, then finally the secular clergy of the archdiocese of Birmingham. The school closed in 1987 due to financial difficulties, and the structure has fallen into a state of disrepair. Only Saint Wilfrid's church remains intact.

My Father used to run a camera club and photographed the place with permission in the mid 90's, even then the "grand hall" had been subjected to a minor fire, his photos were amazing, maybe it was those that got me into this.

From what I can recall the place has/had the school itself a sprots complex with indoor pool and the dorms. There was an empty head masters house behind the Church too.

The perimiter has been fenced and there are signs and a caravan. I looked at gaining access to the grounds some years back a few times and remember missing security by seconds but I dont think that there is much movement there now. I do remember security dogs running about before but again presume they have gone too.

I do remember that the buildings were once full of furniture but predict that after 24 years things may be a little different now.

The place only about 3 miles from Alton Towers.

Anyone had a look??

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 314/2
    Given: 81/0

Default Re: Cotton College - Staffordshire

This looks like a fantastic building!

They have a website as well: - HERE

Thumbs Up/Down

security including 2 big dogs were still there last time I was there. I had a walk round the outside of the buildings, but all access points were well sealed.

Thumbs Up/Down

Hi there

Myself and Flossford went up there very recently, we had a good look for access points but struggled. We did however get to the outside swimming pool and the cricket pavillion and running track across the road. The old head masters house IS occupied and there are at least 3 dobermans which get walked off site (but someone stays at the house) A local building firm turned up there too after we had been snooping but didn't seem to be working.

The chapel grounds are accessable and i am lead to believe any graves on the site should be legally accessable but I stand to be corrected on that.

Its still on the list

Let us know how you get on

Thumbs Up/Down

I tried again earlier this week. Failed .
    Found a way in but its not a good way out if Mr and Mrs Doberman and friends come calling!
    More recon required.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 77/5
    Given: 25/4

This place looks like the mutts nuts
    R.I.P. DHL

Sarcasm is another free service I offer
    Ask a stupid question, expect a stupid answer!!!

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by dodgem View Post
    security including 2 big dogs were still there last time I was there. I had a walk round the outside of the buildings, but all access points were well sealed.
    There is a lot of security round this place including the dogs and curtain twitchers.

It is a lovely old building that has been subject to pikies, arson and even an alter was discovered in there a few years ago

There were many different plans for redevelopment but i doubt anything will ever come of it.

Thumbs Up/Down

Ah so I am not alone in wishing to get in.

Its the dog risk that has always put me off and it seems that they are still about.

Its interesting about the head masters house, 10 years ago it was trashed, still its good to see that not every derelict building goes the way that most seem to. Hopefully the school will see life again too, but not before a good look at the inside.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

I've driven past and had a look from the road. There are some stunning buildings, but a lot of barbed wire/security fencing, and lots of signs along the usual lines of 'trespassers will be prosecuted'/'guard dogs'/'CCTV in operation'. There's a caravan in front of the buildings, presumably used by security, and I saw movement in there so looks like people are on-site (don't think I've said anything there that people haven't said already and all of this is just observations from the road, so hope this is within the rules :o).

Like I say, they look like fantastic buildings so if anyone does manage an explore then I would really look forward to seeing photos

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Grim-Reaper View Post
    Ah so I am not alone in wishing to get in.

Its the dog risk that has always put me off and it seems that they are still about.

Its interesting about the head masters house, 10 years ago it was trashed, still its good to see that not every derelict building goes the way that most seem to. Hopefully the school will see life again too, but not before a good look at the inside.
    The head masters house was also torched a few years ago, i believe it was then done up by the builder. i think it is now used by them.