real time web analytics
Report - - Oakamoor Sands Sidings & Oakamoor Tunnel, Staffs, March 2011 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Oakamoor Sands Sidings & Oakamoor Tunnel, Staffs, March 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

layz

Conquistador d'Wolverton
28DL Full Member
Hey Guys,

Been a while since my last explore, but just to prove I am still keen and getting out and about, here a few snaps from my latest venture.

History

The sidings at Oakamoor are a relatively recent addition to the line’s history, and were first used as a siding to the quarry nearby. The sidings are currently used for storage as part of the Churnet Valley preserved Railway.
When the line was first opened in 1849 there were no sidings at Oakamoor. The line originally ran between North Rode and Uttoxeter, primarily for heavy freight in and around the numerous limestone quarries and copper works dotted around the area. Oakamoor Tunnel is 497 yards long, but was finally closed in 1964.

The Explore

This was very much a last minute decision, my housemate, non-explorer friend and I decided that we’d had enough of boring revision and decided to venture into the Peaks for some exploring goodness. There are many interesting examples of passenger stock here and is defiantly worth a visit.
However I’m afraid to report that the Class 37s that were once here have now been towed away, in some respects this is probably for the best as they were beginning to look rather worst for wear. The only locos we saw were two Class 104s.

The Sidings

f7464d95.jpg

a5301e9a.jpg

8000a0ba.jpg

c75f1912.jpg

2548739f.jpg

9e4552ce.jpg

de2cf0a7.jpg

c6107205.jpg

312141c0.jpg

659fce2b.jpg

Oakamoor Tunnel