real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Greenham Common (July 2010) | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Greenham Common (July 2010)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Zotez

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
My first report as a Junior Member

You all probably know the history but here is a bit from Wikipedia:

RAF Station Greenham Common is a former military airfield in Berkshire, England. The airfield is located approximately 2 miles (3.2 km) south-southwest of Thatcham; about 50 miles (80 km) west of London

Opened in 1942, it was used by both the Royal Air Force and United States Army Air Forces during World War II and the United States Air Force during the Cold War. After the Cold War ended, it was closed in 1993.

The airfield was also known for the Greenham Common Women's Peace Camp held outside its gates in the 1980s.

Today the airfield has been dismantled from its military past and is now returned to natural park land.

This all sparked from a discussion with a few friends who suggested doing the site, none of us thought we could get in but after a recce the night before we had an access point spotted, there are four fences to get through and we were very lucky because any holes are usually welded shut on the inner fences.

We didn't see any security on site but on return a week later the entrance point we found has been sealed.

On with the photos!

ed340a8d.jpg

After entry, we approached these bunkers (silos?) which cannot be seen from outside the fence.

1aa2ba83.jpg

The famous caravan as seen in most reports on this place.

bfc98b80.jpg

Replica spitfire parts I was told, there were lots of things in storage.

3cfed089.jpg

Loads of bits had been broken open and stripped, all the wires had been cut which I guess is to be expected.

b0c0ab58.jpg

A closeup showing the damage.

6f974856.jpg

None of these doors would open, presumably giving access to the big concrete walls.

74208ec2.jpg

These seem to have been smashed open, one of the only traces of vandalism here.

c0a9922c.jpg

Wonderful American style stencil writing.

6dea455c.jpg

000282f9.jpg

More electrical bits.

20aaf625.jpg

This along with the concrete shows that this place was built to last! Derelict for 20 or so years and still no signs of falling apart.

790a06ba.jpg

17685945.jpg

There are lots of these scattered around the whole Greenham Common area.

d43564c1.jpg

The doors were only sealed one side as my next photo will show.

666368e0.jpg

Already posted in the people shot, but it's my favourite photo so no harm in sharing it again!

93a7d58e.jpg

0902b895.jpg

Looking back over the site as we were leaving.

I really hope you enjoyed my report, it's definately somewhere worth seeing if you're near the area!

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details