real time web analytics
Report - - The Gobbins Path, Antrim, Northern Ireland | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Gobbins Path, Antrim, Northern Ireland

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bricker

28DL Member
28DL Member
I know this streches the Urban element but I thought I'd post some pictures of these derelict bridges.

The Gobbins Path on the coast of County Antrim, Northern Ireland was a popular tourist attraction in the early 20th century. Built by civil engineer Berkeley Deane Wise, it opened in stages between 1902 and 1908. The path included staircases and paths along the cliffs, tubular and suspension bridges and caves and eventually stretched more than 3 miles.

In 1961 it was closed due to coastal erosion.

Apologies for the poor photo quality- it was a cheap waterproof camera

IMGP0373.jpg

IMGP0378.jpg

Sometimes the Path is completely missing, requireing some scrambling or swimming
IMGP0382.jpg

IMGP0383.jpg

IMGP0385.jpg

IMGP0386.jpg

The famous tubular bridge...
800px-Berkeley_Deane_Wise_at_the_Gobbins.jpg

...and all thats left of it.
IMGP0391.jpg

IMGP0394.jpg

IMGP0400.jpg

There is a short cave section as well
IMGP0407.jpg

IMGP0415.jpg

If your going to see this you will need to swim sections of it and jump in from heights up to about 4 metres as well as do some climbing so you'll need a wetsuit and a boyancy aid.

The path is also very committing- with a sheer cliff for about 10km on one side and the sea on the other there is only one way in and one way out. Plan your day to allow time to get back and check the tides and swell.