real time web analytics
Report - - The State Cinema, Grays July 2011 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The State Cinema, Grays July 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

sx-riffraff

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Grays State Cinema

In the heart of Grays town centre you will find this brick built art deco goliath. Originally planned and built as the Roxy cinema the State opened on Monday 5th September 1938 with the showing of the 1938 film The Hurricane staring Dorothy Lamour. Designed by architect Frederick Chancellor of Frank Matcham and Company the State boasted an impressive 2200 seating capacity and air conditioning and was one of the largest cinemas in Essex. The State also featured an illuminated Compton pipe Organ and full stage facilities which enabled the building to be used as a fully functioning theatre/ live entertainment venue. The building cost approximately £100,000 to build which equates to around £3 million in today's money.

state2.jpg

The State operated successfully as a cinema and entertainment venue up until the early 1980's when Television became the favoured entertainment of the masses. The State remained open as a cinema up until 1989 when it was then not economically viable to use as a cinema due to dwindling audiences sometimes in single figures. This was probably due to the rising popularity of VHS film rental and also a newer multiscreen cinema being built at the Lakeside retail park just a couple of miles down the road. The State Cinema closed on 30th November 1989, it's future uncertain and in desperate need of a new lease of life.

state4.jpg

state3.jpg

In the 90's the building was also used for a music video by jamiroquai, Deeper Under Ground for the Godzilla film also a sequence was shot for the 1988 film "Who framed Roger Rabbit" staring Bob Hoskins.

On 28th June 2000 the State was reclassified as a Grade II* listed building by English Heritage.

The Cinema and vast car parking area was sold to the supermarket chain Morrisons in 2001 with promises made to Thurrock council that some sort of restoration or new life for the building would be forth coming. Unfortunately Morrisons were only interested in building their gigantic supermaket on the land and the land they purchased adjacent to the State and the building was left to rot even further. In 2006 the Building was sold by Morrisons for around £550,000 to a company called TSP Properties. No new ideas have emerged from the current owners but they have been quoted on another website as saying that the State will never be used as a cinema again.

julygregstateruss222.jpg

The State is now in a state of neglect with water ingress and most recently metal thieves have found there way in after being sealed for more than 15 years. The future looks bleak for such an awesome building and will no doubt suffer the fate of most old cinemas.

The Explore

After a chance shop in morrisons and upon exiting i casually checked it over and to my surprise i spied access! After a small sex wee i shot home picked up my kit and went straight back and i was in! The first thing that hits you is the dark and theres plenty of it! the smell of mould and damp fills the nostrils, finding my bearings i break out 2 torches and thats still not enough! As i walk up onto the stage and my eyes accustomed to the dark im greeted by an awesome site of the auditorium in all its dingy glory, now let the fun begin.

Solo explore of the cuff with only a rubbishy point n shoot camera, my pics dont do this gem justice. Due to it being exquisitely dark some photos i just couldnt get. I hope Mr B who i tipped off got better shots and hope to see them on here soon. On with the photos.

julygregstateruss051.jpg

julygregstateruss063.jpg

julygregstateruss064.jpg

julygregstateruss065.jpg

julygregstateruss069.jpg

julygregstateruss071.jpg

julygregstateruss073.jpg

julygregstateruss074.jpg

julygregstateruss078.jpg

julygregstateruss080.jpg

julygregstateruss081.jpg

julygregstateruss090.jpg

julygregstateruss093.jpg

julygregstateruss100.jpg

julygregstateruss103.jpg

And now for the jack pot!!

julygregstateruss107.jpg

julygregstateruss109.jpg

julygregstateruss112.jpg

julygregstateruss113.jpg

julygregstateruss114.jpg

julygregstateruss115.jpg

julygregstateruss117.jpg

julygregstateruss121.jpg

julygregstateruss125.jpg

sx-riffraff

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: The State Cinema, Grays July 2011 PIC HEAVY

Back the rest of the cinema.

julygregstateruss130.jpg

julygregstateruss134.jpg

julygregstateruss138.jpg

julygregstateruss144.jpg

julygregstateruss145.jpg

julygregstateruss150.jpg

julygregstateruss161.jpg

julygregstateruss163.jpg

julygregstateruss171.jpg

julygregstateruss175.jpg

julygregstateruss177.jpg

julygregstateruss182.jpg

julygregstateruss186.jpg

julygregstateruss187.jpg

julygregstateruss188.jpg

julygregstateruss189.jpg

julygregstateruss192.jpg

How it stands today, battered and bruised.

julygregstateruss211.jpg

julygregstateruss217.jpg

julygregstateruss220.jpg

julygregstateruss222.jpg

View attachment 354051

Info lifted from www.statecinema.co.uk, please visit the website for more old pics and information. Thanks for looking and hope you enjoyed what youve seen and read, this was one of my best explores and as its on my home turf i feel proud to have seen inside. Grays doesnt have much to offer any more but despite its run down and neglected state this to me is a diamond in the rough.

The Grays State Cinema.​