real time web analytics
Report - - Elvet Baths, Durham (Durham City Swimming Baths), August 2011 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Elvet Baths, Durham (Durham City Swimming Baths), August 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Renrutt

Turnerr
28DL Full Member
This is my first attempt at a report and my first attempt at taking any meaningful shots on man mode with a dslr, so go easy, yeah. :gay

Visited here with non forum member Benjamon, I haven't been able to find much on the history of the site but here's what I did find:

Elvet Baths, off Old Elvet, Durham, was officially opened in September 1932. It has stood empty since July 2008 after being replaced by the £12.3m Freeman’s Quay leisure centre.

It was due to be demolished under Banks Developments and Esh Group’s plans to build homes, offices and a restaurant at Elvet Waterside; but the scheme fell in February 2010, falling victim to the recession.

There was some sort of hoo-har with the local neighbours in February this year when "undisturbed asbestos" was discovered on the site. This was apparantly removed.

jz7r6.jpg

21e5gk4.jpg

yc4cm.jpg

11l1kyw.jpg

6r5am9.jpg

jagufc.jpg

2ppyhdx.jpg

2v9ewwl.jpg

ny672c.jpg

When you compare it to the last reports in May 2010, the ceiling in the main pool room has taken a bit of a battering, most likely during asbestos removal I would have thought.

Like I say, photography skills are pretty dump right now but improving!

Cheers for peeking in.

Dave563

Some things are best left untouched!
28DL Full Member
I thought the photos were pretty good. Has changed a lot over the last few years.