real time web analytics
Report - - W H Shaw and sons, Diggle, Offices block report! | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - W H Shaw and sons, Diggle, Offices block report!

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

bungle666

....king of snake........
28DL Full Member
The office building on the site of W H Shaw and sons, pallet works was constructed in 1890 for Huchinson and Hollingworth, to be the offices for the dobcross loom company at its works in diggle.

the building was granted a grade 2 listing on the 3 July 1986.

its construction and features are described thus: Ashlar with Westmorland slate roof. Gothic style. 5 x 3 bays with 2 storeys (plus attics). Asymmetrical elevation, bays 2 and 4 being advanced, the latter with entrance and clock tower, the others each being gabled.

Rock-faced plinth, first floor band. Each bay on each floor has a 2, 3 or 5-light chamfered mullion window with shouldered heads and leaded glass in the upper part. The gables are coped, have kneelers and ornate finials, and 1 or 2-light windows with cusped heads. The door at the base of the tower has an overlight with keystone, flanking pilasters, cornice, dies with ball finials and entwined initials above a scroll. The 4-stage tower rises above with its machicolated top stage having clock faces, gables, corner pinnacles and a Lombardic roof with decorative iron crown. Clustered diagonally set ridge chimney stacks.

The interior remains largely unaltered with original glazed tile skirtings, panelled doors, cornices, a cast iron staircase and a decorative cast iron spiral staircase.

taken from HERE :thumb

Anyhow, i grew up looking at this building on the estate facing the works, infact we used to use the works as a playground full of pallets and other goodies to climb and mess around on!

anyhow, I knew the place had closed and had a run in (or 2) with the law trying to explore the site (it was VERY heavily alarmed) but the office block was always tantalisingly out of reach, being VERY secure and VERY alarmed!

anyhow, I got wind of a possible contact with the keyholder/caretaker of the site, contact was made and a visit was arranged!

these are some of the pictures from that visit back in September 1997 we were asked NOT to publish the pics online at the time, however I think with the passage of time, AND recent interest in the site it is time these shots saw the light of day!

Heavy oak, iron and tiles are the main attraction! as is that bell and clock. Anyhow heres some pics!

oh and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE NOTE! This site is VERY secure, DO NOT ATTEMPT A VISIT TO THE OFFICE BLOCK AS A TRIP TO THE CELLS WILL ENSUE!

DSCF2290.jpg

DSCF2291.jpg

DSCF2293.jpg

DSCF2304.jpg

DSCF2313.jpg

DSCF2317.jpg

DSCF2350.jpg

DSCF2334.jpg

DSCF2324.jpg

DSCF2325.jpg

DSCF2351.jpg

DSCF2342.jpg