real time web analytics
Report - - Capper Pass & Son Sidings - E Yorks - Sept 2011 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Capper Pass & Son Sidings - E Yorks - Sept 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
The sidings at the old Capper Pass & Son site was an interesting place... There is hardly anything left of the original Refinery but this part remains within the grounds of the OMYA UK Humber site.

Information on the Capper Pass 7 Son Refinery... Capper Pass and Son - Wikipedia

Line.jpg

paper.jpg

goggles.jpg

1957.jpg

Fowler.jpg

hold on..... was that a train?

linesandpits.jpg

wheels.jpg

side-1.jpg

Driverscab.jpg

Train.jpg

Thanks for looking :thumb

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
What a find, sick!

Thanks mate :thumb

Doing some general digging around for more info on the Loco and i came across this... apparently the Engine is a Fowler 060 shunter.

97041003.jpg

Taken back in 1997 - about 6 years after closure ( i think )

Last edited:

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
Update

I got a phone call yesterday from a friend i explore with, he'd just got back from here. He said it looked like someone was in the process of stripping the shunters engine down. A steel pole has been rigged up to use as a brace for a crude lifting system and valves etc are thrown about all over. I'd like to think someone is trying to get the beast running again but i seriously doubt it.

I know Dempsey and Boba Low have tried to drum up some interest in getting the shunter saved and I've tried to get some interest from relevant sources but no luck. So it seems its destined to be stripped.

These are some of the shots my mate PaulUE snapped yesterday.

DSC_0734_zps36891f9c.jpg

DSC_0726_zps01f14831.jpg

DSC_0729_zps9fe1c27f.jpg

DSC_0710_zpsa500e814.jpg

While the site is close to what was part of Capper Pass & sons as stated in my original post, i've managed to find some closer history i think.

1921-1923 Humber Portland Cement Co. Ltd

1923-1981 BPCM (G & T Earles - Blue Circle)

Development costs of the site escalated during construction and although the kilns got under way in a faltering manner, the company was wound up in July 1924, the plant having been bought by BPCM and placed under the control of G & T Earle. In a “trial runâ€￾ it was said that “the output of the kilns was so much above the guarantee that the makers (i.e. Edgar Allen) were entitled to a large bonusâ€￾. The plant was radically redesigned in the early years of Blue Circle’s ownership, and the contract for the originally-projected third kiln went to Vickers, while the contract for Earle’s new plant at Hope went to FLS.

This is what the site looked like (images: Humber cement Kilns )....

epw016199a_zpsdc2f9193.jpg

humber1978_pic_zps30055864.jpg

And here's the shunter a few years after the closure.

97041003-1_zpsc7892219.jpg

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details