real time web analytics
Report - - John Heath pen makers, Birmingham, November 2011 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - John Heath pen makers, Birmingham, November 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TranKmasT

"You BOY!
Regular User
Theres a few earlier reports of this place on here. Doesn't look like it's changed much apart from a severe outbreak of tagging. Some half decent street and banksy esque artwork liven up the walls which brightened up a damp squib of a day. Pity they had to extend this to the best room of all, the front reception which had some great plaster cornices and art deco ceiling lanterns.

Entry was quite technical as I tripped not noticing the step as I walked through a wide open doorway.;)

Swiped this off Sammydoublewhammy (broken picture links on your report mate!)

This was once one of the many pen factories that existed in Birmingham.
At one point 75% of all written word was with a pen made in one of the Birmingham factories. This one being John Heath's which became known as Kingfield Heath at some point in the 80's who were manufacturers of stationary equipment. The remaining paperwork we found ends at 2001 so this would be when the factory closed I presume. Time hasn't been good to this place as all of the glass ceiling in the main factory floor has all come down and smashed. And there was not a pen or any stationary in sight.

Johnheathpens.jpg

Taken from File:Pen Room03.jpg - Graces Guide

Another interesting site I came across was Museum and Learning Centre of Writing and Pen Trade Memorabilia http://penroom.co.uk/Nibs_Gallery.aspx

NoceilingPB.jpg

Conveyor3PB.jpg

Conveyor2PB.jpg

LiftPB.jpg

BanksyesquePB.jpg
ConveyorPB.jpg

FileroomPB.jpg

ComputersPB.jpg

Files2PB.jpg

FilesPB.jpg

JohnHeathgrowthPB.jpg

HoldingslidesPB.jpg