real time web analytics
Report - - South Kirkby Colliery, South Yorkshire 1975 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - South Kirkby Colliery, South Yorkshire 1975

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bovine

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Situated south of Wakefield, in the heart of the Yorkshire Coalfield, South Kirkby Colliery was sunk in 1881, with the sole aim of tapping the Barnsley Bed seam which was the best steam coal in Yorkshire. Several workable seams were struck on the way down to it, but ignored. Production between the wars averaged two million tons annually, the shafts being deepened to tap further seams. After Nationalisation, the NCB bored Riddings Drift on the same site, to mine the shallower seams and both operations were still going in 1975, when the last 0-4-0 steam engine built by the Yorkshire Engine Company was put up for tender.
The form gave you entry to the colliery, but the engine was marooned in the shed by a wheel less diesel in front! The successful tenderer was a scrap merchant, but he could not get it out to burn it up, so eventually the sale was voided. Later on that year, it was re-tendered and this time it was saved for preservation and exists at th Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam Railway.
As for the collliery, it closed in 1988 and was obliterated!

h2Small.jpg

Inside the loco shed, with the diesel wheels and a Hunslet steam engine

p1Small.jpg

Behind the shed was junk and the remains of a loco

p2Small.jpg

Nearby, a locomotive boiler was being cut up

h1.jpg

After re-tendering, the Hunslet was pulled outside

ye5Small.jpg

Then the Yorkshire tasted its first fresh air for months!

ye3Small.jpg

Positioned for loading

ye2Small.jpg

Temporary rails were laid and packed, then the loco was hand winched! on to the low loader

ye1Small.jpg

Success

Untitled-Scanned-21Small.jpg

And off to the Yorkshire Dales!

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Did they put it up for sale as a way of trying to preserve it? I'd have thought the pit fitters would have just taken the gas axe to it if it was surplus.
I bet there was some epic in that shed!