real time web analytics
Report - - Ship RFA Bayleaf Portsmouth May 2011 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ship RFA Bayleaf Portsmouth May 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

snake_28

28DL Member
28DL Member
A few photos of the engineroom of the ship RFA Bayleaf. finally got around to putting the pics up.

Quick history,
The ship was owned and operated by the Royal Fleet Auxiliary who provide the royal navy and other NATO navies with sea based support ranging from fuel for ships and aircraft, stores, ammunition and anything else that needs to be delivered to a ship at sea.

The Bayleaf was launched in 1981 and was approximately 30,000 tonnes when fully loaded, it was over 170m long and 26m wide.

The ship was due to be scrapped because of the strategic defense review and it sailed into portsmouth dockyard in April 2011 and the ship was finally shut down on the 8th June.

I havnt been to Portsmouth in a while but i assume it is still there awaiting bids from various scrap dealers/ship breakers.

I only had my phone with me which is why the photos are a bit poor, also i didnt originally intend on uploading them. the photos are unfortunately only of the engineroom where i worked.

1.jpg

The large boiler for heating and supplying hot water to clean the ships main fuel tanks
2.jpg

Air compressors, 2 for supplying air to start the engines and 2 for general use air
3.jpg

Air recievers and compressors
4.jpg

Fuel pumps for supplying the main engines with Diesel
5.jpg

Electrical Generators driven by auxiliary Diesel engines
6.jpg

The turbochargers fitted to the engines, 2 on each
7.jpg

the gearbox and clutches, the shaft on the right hand side in ther center is the propeller shaft going towards the back of the ship
8.jpg

looking between the engines at the bottom of the engine room, it got pretty hot down here when the engines were running
9.jpg

Shaft generators driven by the main engines via a power take off from the main gearbox
10.jpg

shaft generators producing 3.3Kv and 1.5MW if i remember rightly :s
11.jpg

The Machinery control room which was on the front end of the engineroom
12.jpg

diesel generator engine
13.jpg

the top of one engine
14.jpg

Generator control board and the control room cat.
15.jpg

controls for manouevering the main engines

Last edited: