real time web analytics
Report - - Cathedral Steps, Manchester, Dec 11. | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cathedral Steps, Manchester, Dec 11.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Everyonefreezes

tinyurl.com/yzfp8dt
28DL Full Member
There has been a lot of reports on here recently, so i shouldn't really need to report this...

but i can't get over the fact that i finally got my arse down here and got it done :D

Vistitted with Flip, Bekoir & two non-members
We were also meant to be meeting up with Havoc, Rookinella, Ojay & Lawrence, but due to our mate Brady taking ages to meet us there,
and also our hesitance with the way in,
we only got in as they were leaving.

Thanks Havoc for making us all shit our panties & thanks to Rookinella for leaving us some cake :thumb

Check out my entry on this in my PhotoJournal, my photos document the explore and add a different flavour to it (with my fuji x100 :D).
http://everyonefreezes.tumblr.com/#15419941775

Here's some history about how it was converted for world war 2.

"During World War II the stages and tunnels surrounding them were converted into air-raid shelters. The conversion, which included additional brick blast walls, took three months at a cost of £10,150 and provided shelter for 1,619 people. The cobbled surfaces shown in some of the pictures on the Manchester City Council website show the same network of tunnels before their conversion to air raid shelters. The land covered by the arches included a street, which led at the west end to a wooden bridge over the River Irk. The old road was covered over in an improvement scheme, which began in 1833.
The steps and landing stages have remained closed to the public for many years. In 1935 less elaborate steps were in place, some of which remained until 1971. In photographs taken in 1972, the arches are barred, and some are covered with metal grilles. As of 2009, none of the steps remain, and the original Victorian railings along the embankment have been replaced with a stone wall and new railings."

On with some pictures :)

IMG_6089.jpg

IMG_6076.jpg

IMG_6093.jpg

IMG_6098.jpg

IMG_6101.jpg

IMG_6112.jpg

IMG_6121.jpg

IMG_6130.jpg

Accidental, but nice photo ^^

IMG_6139.jpg

IMG_6146.jpg