real time web analytics
Report - - Bunker? I hardly even knower....DE, Jan 2012 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bunker? I hardly even knower....DE, Jan 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

johnsalomon

Germany is the "wurst"
28DL Full Member
I-got-there-first-but-Defender-got-here-first :D :D :D

This one courtesy of my kind associate D who was nice enough to take me along on a very, very muddy and wet tour of a World War 2 industrial bunker built by German steel firm Krupp, to protect electrical equipment from Allied bombs.

The bunker is a large ferroconcrete caisson inside an old vaulted brick underground hall. Currently, there's not much left aboveground except for a few halls that have been turned into concert halls (with a really bizarre fucking acoustic layout that plays some sort of apocalyptic neo-opera outside - interesting, when you're walking past it at night, in the pouring rain).

6772425215_299e5d86e4_z.jpg

The whole area is a mixture of reclaimed land and industrial wasteland, with the latter rapidly giving way to the former. Evidence to the fact that you never know what you'll find in absurd places, a manhole hidden in a soggy field somewhere brings you down a couple of slimy, narrow hole (so's yermom) to a series of large spaces below the earth.

6772429655_7039dd476e_z.jpg

Several rooms of this former steel mill's electrical plant, finally closed around 1986, still bear their original World War II "decorations", something that caused the history geek in me to nearly shit bricks when I found the beautifully intact markings.

6772434207_c95f53d8c3_z.jpg

6772436535_5eee41811c_z.jpg

There's almost no graffiti, and it's a huge shame that the whole thing is slated for filling in with concrete in a few months' time.

6772440051_c687fa9bfc_z.jpg

6772441279_1be5c76f7f_z.jpg

More, as always, at kosmograd dot net

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 2) View details