real time web analytics
Report - - Pilkington Glass - Doncaster - Febuary 2012 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Pilkington Glass - Doncaster - Febuary 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Horus

Butt Wipe
28DL Full Member
Pilkington Glass

Yes I know, another Pilk thread!

History from Mutley

Pilkingtons were originally established in St Helens, Lancs in 1826.
Around the time of WW1 they looked to establish another site in the UK, supposedly to protect against European competitors entering the British market.
The site chosen for this was Kirk Sandall near Doncaster, favoured for its canal side location and ready access to local coal and sand. The plant opened at great cost in 1922, apparently consuming most of the company's reserves plus an additional £1m in new capital.
In 1923 Pilkingtons, in collaboration with Ford in the State, developed a continuous flow process for the manufacture of glass plate and a method of continuous grinding. Doncaster was quickly converted to this new technology, again at huge expense.
In the 1950's Pilkingtons developed the "float" method of glass production (the molten glass is poured onto a bath of molten tin at 1000C). This was much cheaper as it did not require the grinding and polishing processes. Pilkingtons quickly set about converting all their factories to this new technology...except Doncaster.
By 1963 Doncaster was the only Pilkington factory producing polished plate glass and by 1966 was only running at 56% of capacity and production was suspended and the plant mothballed.
Not sure what happened in the intervening years, but there was obviously an upturn in fortunes as the plant was producing up to December 2008.

Pictures..

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

If only
IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

I would of explored more as it seems iv mist some place's but time was getting on and I had to get to BigJobs house​

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 1) View details