real time web analytics
Report - - The Tower Takeover, Manchester - March 2012. | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Tower Takeover, Manchester - March 2012.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Gone

Regular User

This one snowballed from AndrewB and Dicky making a trip up to Manchester to another 'meet'.

First in the firing line is Lancaster House.

Built in the early 1900's, LH was designed by Harry S Fairhurst for the Lloyds Packing Warehouse Company. It's style is formed on that of Edwardian Baroque and was constructed largely with red brick and terracotta.

At the time it was considered rather modern in relation to it's design. Me & Nick had tried this numerous times in the past but had no luck, this time however it would seem luck was on our side.

The rooftop or rather rooftops have a brilliant mix of villain hideouts, Fred Dibnah ladders, massive chimneys and one sweet tower. The tower is actually used as someones wardrobe so that was an interesting one!

IMGP4720.jpg

IMGP4702.jpg

IMGP4701.jpg

IMGP4709.jpg

IMGP4703.jpg

IMGP4704.jpg

IMGP4718.jpg

Next up, a big favourite of mine - The Palace Hotel/Refuge Assurance Building.

This one has been 'open/closed' more times that I can think of, but when I properly think about it, it's always been do-able.

Designed by Alfred Waterhouse and built between 1891-1895, the build was originally laid out for the Refuge Assurance Company.

1910 came along and the 217ft tower was built, the company continued running successfully for a number of years up until the late 80's.

Information on the place is pretty scarce for ten or so years until the building was purchased for the renovation into the hotel that it is today.

Judging from the graff up the tower, I think the place was a squat or a place for big parties in Manchester at the time.

I'd been here numerous times over the past three years but this was our biggest turnout!

2011-11-10_1-1.jpg

IMGP4728.jpg

2011-11-10_2-1.jpg

IMGP4597.jpg

IMGP4589.jpg

Manchester-1.jpg

Moving on to the last of the towers, St James Building.

Again another lovely chilled rooftop with a pretty striking tower.

Completed in 1912 as the primary headquarters for the Calico Printers Association the building overshadows Oxford Road with it's brothers and sisters; The Palace and Lancaster House situated close by.

The building at the current time is owned by Bruntwood and various companies operate from offices within the building, the tower features a huge water tank that is currently out of use.

P4239226.jpg

SJP.jpg

IMGP4651.jpg

Oh and a quick few from the Ramada!

IMGP4685.jpg

IMGP4673.jpg

Cheers for looking, Peace!​

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details