real time web analytics
Report - - Redmires Water Treatment Works - Sheffield - April 2012 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Redmires Water Treatment Works - Sheffield - April 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

DaveP

28DL Member
28DL Member
Now then,

Well here's my second report for 28DL - Redmires Water Treatment Works in Sheffield. I know it's been posted a couple of times before, but hopefully my shots will differ from those that have been shown in the past.

Looking over past photos I myself have noticed how things have changed there over time, even if they're slight changes (like things being moved/stolen/trashed).

HISTORY: Redmires Reservoirs are located in Fulwood, Sheffield in South Yorkshire. They are fed from various small streams including Fairthorn Clough from the Hallam Moors. Consisting of three reservoirs known as Upper, Middle and Lower, these were built to supply clean drinking water to Sheffield following a Cholera epidemic in 1832.

The Water Treatment Works are located beside the Lower reservoir The old treatment plant. dating back to 1950, supplied water to the south-western outer areas of Sheffield utilising the Ringlow and Rudd Hill service reservoirs It used seven horizontal pressure filters which were installed in 1950 and clear water tank which was installed 1983.

Preliminary treatment of the water began in the lower reservoir before it was filtered. Lime was added to separate the natural aluminium from the water, making it clump together so it could be filtered out.

The Treatment Works produced water below modern standards, although it was still safe to drink. The water was of a satisfactory colour and cleanliness, but iron and aluminium levels were too high. A new plant was constructed opposite the old works in 1986-8 and made use of the Australian system called the Sirofloc Process. The water from this new plant was then piped to the old works to be filtered as a final process.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg