real time web analytics
Report - - Historic Rifle Range, Burton Meadows April 2012 Very Pic Heavy! | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Historic Rifle Range, Burton Meadows April 2012 Very Pic Heavy!

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

liamjay

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi All,

I think this has been done on here, but I really liked the powerful look of the building, so with a day off work I searched on google earth to see if i could find its exact location. After much time I did, and ventured up Derby way to find it!

Access is via a very potted country road, a 4x4 is more suitable then my Fiesta! I parked up and went the last mile on foot. Also worth noting (as I found out) is there are streams to cross with no bridges to get to it, this involved going between knee and ankle deep in flowing water (maybe it was just because it had been raining.......Anyhow, after my trainers have dried out, ive now decided to upload the pics

its worth noting that the scale of this thing is MASSIVE.

Also a bit of history:- A troop of volunteer cavalry for whom a subscription was raised in Burton in 1794 and another troop formed in 1809 were probably short-lived. (fn. 4) The Burton troop of yeomanry cavalry was formed in 1819 as part of a county regiment (from 1838 the Queen's Own Royal Regiment of Staffordshire Yeomanry) and was renamed the Anglesey troop in 1839. (fn. 5) In 1893 it was merged with the Uttoxeter troop to become C squadron, which survived with its headquarters at Bladon House, in Winshill, until the Yeomanry was disbanded in 1967. (fn. 6)

A rifle club, newly-established in 1852, probably formed the nucleus of the Rifle Volunteer Corps set up in 1859. The marquess of Anglesey provided a shooting range at the north end of Burton meadow. (fn. 7) When the volunteers were assigned to line regiments in 1883, Burton became the headquarters of a battalion of the Prince of Wales's (North Staffordshire) Regiment, later a Territorial Army unit. (fn. 8)

Enjoy :-)

1-IMG_7026.jpg

1-IMG_7028.jpg

1-IMG_7031.jpg

1-IMG_7030.jpg

1-IMG_7040.jpg

1-IMG_7038.jpg

1-IMG_7041.jpg

1-IMG_7039.jpg

Last edited: