real time web analytics
Report - - Harford Hills Chalk Mine, Norwich, May 2012 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Harford Hills Chalk Mine, Norwich, May 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Altair

Poking holes since '84
28DL Full Member
Another local site to myself that I've visited a few times. Pictures are from various visits, including one with fellow members 4lex and keefykeef.

Nothing much to report about when it comes to the actual explores, just a pleasant wander around. This place is a bit of a maze of tunnels but thankfully someone has marked all the tunnels with arrows that point back to the entrance or crosses to mark dead ends. Some places are huge and easily 15ft plus high while others are tight crawl spaces.

History;

Norwich has been mined for chalk and flints since the middle ages right up until WW2, while others date back to the 12th century although no accurate dates can be found. This particular mine is on the site of an old chalk quarry but the workers were forced to tunnel underground to keep supplying the chalk. It was used to make lime and there are also lime kilns in the area, while the flint was used in construction.

CIMG0088.jpg

CIMG0090.jpg

CIMG0091.jpg

CIMG0092.jpg

CIMG0095.jpg

CIMG0097.jpg

CIMG0101.jpg

CIMG0103.jpg

CIMG0104.jpg

CIMG0108.jpg

CIMG0114.jpg

CIMG0119.jpg

CIMG0121.jpg

CIMG0129.jpg

CIMG0135.jpg

Altair

Poking holes since '84
28DL Full Member
Just a few, new pictures from a recent visit with my new camera. Didn't seem worth a new thread so just adding them here. hope that ok mods?

DSC_3098.jpg

DSC_3101.jpg

DSC_3097.jpg

DSC_3090.jpg

DSC_3091.jpg

DSC_3096.jpg

Altair

Poking holes since '84
28DL Full Member
Thanks mate. There is quite a network of tunnels, varying from crawl spaces to the big cavern in the second pic. That one is about 3 times plus the height of me and I'm 5'9! Worth a look if your ever in the area though.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Thanks mate. There is quite a network of tunnels, varying from crawl spaces to the big cavern in the second pic. That one is about 3 times plus the height of me and I'm 5'9! Worth a look if your ever in the area though.

one to be noted for the future..;)