real time web analytics
Report - - Soviet Glass Factory, Bulgaria, April 2012 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Soviet Glass Factory, Bulgaria, April 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Darmon_Richter

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is site is located just outside a small town in central Bulgaria, built in the 1970s. Back then, train tracks ran all the way into the warehouses allowing for fast and efficient shipments of sand from the Black Sea beaches.

After the fall of communism though, the railway that fed this factory was closed. For a while shipments of sand were brought by lorry, but it proved inefficient and the factory soon ground to a halt.

The site is massive. It covers roughly the area of an airport divided into warehouses, cooling stations, offices, canteens and production lines. I even found an old bomb shelter, reached through a heavy concrete archway set into a grassy bank. Inside there was enough space to house all of the factory's workers, including dormitories, washrooms and a canteen.

At the back of the complex was a large reservoir, for the vast quantities of water used in the cooling process.

Heading back into the main site I found a long conveyor belt, suspended high above the ground on a metal gantry. The lower end entered one of the smaller outlying buildings, which housed a series of furnaces and rusting machines. In the other direction, the conveyor reached a point high up on the wall of the main factory building... I decided to climb it all the way up, from where I was able to squeeze in through a window, onto a ledge high above the floor of the cooling rooms.

The site was huge, and I spent many hours exploring it... even after that though, there were still countless areas that I hadn't seen. Definitely one for a return visit.

For more photos check out the full report on The Bohemian Blog: Inside the Ruins of a Soviet Glass Factory

Cheers!
DR.

Abandoned-Soviet-Glass-Factory-Bulgaria-by-D-Richter-1_zps332d236a.jpg

Abandoned-Soviet-Glass-Factory-Bulgaria-by-D-Richter-2_zps2f576007.jpg

Abandoned-Soviet-Glass-Factory-Bulgaria-by-D-Richter-3_zpse9502a34.jpg

Abandoned-Soviet-Glass-Factory-Bulgaria-by-D-Richter-4_zps7fba258d.jpg

Abandoned-Soviet-Glass-Factory-Bulgaria-by-D-Richter-5_zps8cf28496.jpg

Abandoned-Soviet-Glass-Factory-Bulgaria-by-D-Richter-6_zps860d3a67.jpg

Abandoned-Soviet-Glass-Factory-Bulgaria-by-D-Richter-7_zps96d589b1.jpg

Abandoned-Soviet-Glass-Factory-Bulgaria-by-D-Richter-8_zpsb2ab9053.jpg

Abandoned-Soviet-Glass-Factory-Bulgaria-by-D-Richter-9_zps28fe7d24.jpg

Abandoned-Soviet-Glass-Factory-Bulgaria-by-D-Richter-10_zpscf72f035.jpg