real time web analytics
Report - - Healey Mills Ossett | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Healey Mills Ossett

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

nickym007

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Only my 2nd Post on this great site. Healy Mills local to me and such a shame it closed. I could hear the shunters from here as I grew up as a kid.
Anyone visiting BE AWARE THERE ARE STILL PASSENGER TRAINS RUNNING THROUGH HERE
The 140-acre site was once one of Europe’s largest marshalling yards, but over the past two decades the yards have become obsolete, the depot closed and now freight trains no longer call there to change crews.
healeymills81.jpg

healeymills1.jpg

healeymills10.jpg

healeymills29.jpg

healeymills77.jpg

Healey Mills opened in 1963 in attempt to modernise wagon-load traffic. It replaced a dozen smaller yards in the area and its purpose was to improve the efficiency of sorting and marshalling wagons into trains before sending them off to their destination. The yards featured hump-shunting, in which wagons were pushed over a ‘hump’, freewheeled into the required siding, and braked using special retarders next to the rails - all controlled from a centralised operations tower.
healeymills9.jpg

healeymills25.jpg

healeymills14.jpg

healeymills18.jpg

healeymills12.jpg

But wagon-load railfreight came under increasing threat in the 1970s and 1980s due to competition from road transport. Then a double blow came with the decline of the Yorkshire coal industry and resultant reduction in coal trains (Thatcherism), which had once formed up to 50 percent of traffic at Healey Mills.As a result, the depot lost its own allocation of locomotives in 1984 and the marshalling yards closed in 1987 - although both were still used for stabling locomotives and trains until the early 2000s.
healeymills21.jpg

healeymills20.jpg

healeymills2.jpg

healeymills74.jpg

healeymills35.jpg

View attachment 449788
The redundant sidings were then used to store long lines of withdrawn Class 37, 47, 56 and 58 locomotives until 2010, after which the only operations at Healey Mills were for crew changes of passing freight trains.
healeymills38.jpg

healeymills41.jpg

healeymills46.jpg

healeymills49.jpg

healeymills19.jpg

healeymills17.jpg

healeymills24.jpg

From February 4, these crew changes now take place a few miles away at Wakefield Kirkgate station, where portable cabins have been installed as temporary offices. All that remains at Healey Mills are the overgrown sidings, a few redundant wagons, and the buildings awaiting demolition.
healeymills22.jpg

healeymills42.jpg

healeymills48.jpg

healeymills53.jpg

healeymills52.jpg

healeymills56.jpg

healeymills63.jpg

Sorry For Pasting The wrong Code - And I have resized again to the correct size 800 x 600 but still showing over size, hopefully be ok when server refreshers - Hope Im Foregiven

Last edited: