real time web analytics
Report - - St Peter's Building, Huddersfield - August 2012 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Peter's Building, Huddersfield - August 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
St Peter's Building, Huddersfield

Fishbrain and I managed to get up here back in September last year and by all accounts it was actually a decent roof. I got some terribly 'warm' and out of focus shots back then on the windiest night of the year, and so when I got a shout from Fudge that this one was open again I decided a quick daytime visit with a Biere Speciale and a cigarette was in order.

IMG_5488.jpg

History

The towering St Peter’s Building was opened in February 1965 by the late Princess Margaret as the new headquarters of the YMCA in Huddersfield. It is located at the heart of Huddersfield, on the inside edge of one the town’s most important Victoria-era conservation areas and adjacent to a cluster of media/cultural industries.

The building was later sold to Huddersfield Polytechnic and used both as student housing and as teaching space. When the university came into being the building became home to the drama and media studies students, before they were moved on to the main Queensgate campus around 2006.

In 2006 Yorkshire Forward – the regional development agency who bought the buildings in 2004 for £1,758,200 – got involved and tried to secure a partnership deal with a private developer to take on the site. They hoped to create a complex of shops, restaurants and bars on the ground floor, fronting onto Lord Street and St Peter’s Street, with offices and apartments above.

Manchester-based developers Artisan had applied to knock down the buildings in 2007. But these proposals were shelved late 2009. Artisan intended on building a nine-storey mixed use development of 68 flats and 40,000 sq ft of commercial space.

wrong time, wrong place

IMG_5427.jpg

IMG_5426.jpg

IMG_5431.jpg

IMG_5432.jpg

IMG_5441.jpg

IMG_5439.jpg

Last time, I visited at night, and the objective was purely to get high in the Hudd. This time, I thought I'd try and see if I could get a few internals and make my way into the adjoining 1889 YMCA building which is listed... I wish I hadn't bothered as the place is in a sorry, sorry state.

YMCA
IMG_5447.jpg

Hallways
IMG_5460.jpg
IMG_5475.jpg

Theatre
IMG_5443.jpg

IMG_5445.jpg

IMG_5466.jpg
IMG_5474.jpg

IMG_5470.jpg

Sports Hall