real time web analytics
Report - - Wade Heath Pottery, Burslem Stoke Aug 2012 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wade Heath Pottery, Burslem Stoke Aug 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Explored with OT, Speed and the better half.

What can I say, not really that trashed, just a little jumbled up!

he Wade Group of Potteries started in 1810 at Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, England. Early in the twentieth century several potteries merged to become George Wade & Son, Ltd. and other potteries have been added through the years. Only in 1953, after Sir George Wade developed Whimsies, a small solid ceramic collectable animal series, did Wade become a household name in the UK and America and the company has been known ever since as the “Home of the Whimsie”.

This one was sealed tight when I was battering the potteries a couple of years ago, but in that time the place has been left to decline and today it's pretty smashed up. That said the building is in pretty good shape and still contains much of it's equipment, kilns and as usual, piles and piles of ware!

The front of the works is very old, and still retains it's old coach door. I assume (pardon me if I'm wrong) that post war development meant the bottle kilns were demolished and the tunnel kiln was built in a purpose built extension. It was common in there to see external windows inside, and even guttering and drain hoppers on the inside walls, which tells me that a cluster of buildings has at some point been linked up to make one large factory.

The most interesting room was the store room which housed examples of the "PDM" range of advertising ceramics. There was not a pub in the land in the 70's and 80's that did not have a Wade jug or ashtray on the bar. They were also famous for the "natwest pigs", but we did not see any of those around!

Wades are best known for those horrid little pot animals "whimsies". These were in fact not made here, but in the firm's sister factory down the road.

wade-23.jpg

wade-22.jpg

wade-21.jpg

wade-20.jpg

wade-19.jpg

wade-18.jpg

wade-17.jpg

wade-16.jpg

wade-15.jpg

wade-14.jpg

wade-13.jpg

wade-12.jpg