real time web analytics
Report - - Norgas House, Killingworth, Northumberland, Nov 2012 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Norgas House, Killingworth, Northumberland, Nov 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

H1971

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
After help from my mentor Magpie423 I decided to have a solo visit to this place. Mooching on your own is kind of weird for me and I don't think I will ever get used to the bloody pigeons frightening the crap out of me lol. Anyway after about 40 mins of pic taking I heard the sec outside and decided to call it a day. So another visit is on the cards :-)
History pinched from Magpie423 previous report
Ryder and Yates: Twentieth Century Architects
In this exclusive extract from Twentieth Century Architects: Ryder and Yates by Rutter Carroll, we introduce a selection of the Modernist commercial and industrial buildings designed by the North East practice.
The architecture of Gordon Ryder and Peter Yates can be found in a diverse range of buildings of extraordinary maturity within the modernist canon. This is architecture of distinction, though not well known – perhaps due to its location in the North of England – but it clearly demonstrated the artistic and theoretical ideals of the Modern Movement.
Ryder and Yates demonstrated innovative thought, combined with an unshakeable belief in the validity of their ideals that was at once responsive to its location and to the demands of its strongly regional client base. The result was an architecture that was regional, yet also strongly national and even international in the scope of its ideas and in its calibre.
The design of each building type, even with the varying briefs and locations, shared a common approach. All their buildings were site-specific, responding to the particular character of the area in which they were to be built. The materials used were indigenous to the location, whether bricks, stone or timber, and could be used in a vernacular fashion.
Key buildings
Norgas House Photo: Photo-Mayo Ltd.
Norgas House, completed in 1965, and the Gas Council's Engineering Research Station, finished in 1967, represented the high point of the practice's output and gained them national status through a series of architectural awards. Both buildings were precise in their relationship with the newly restored landscape, a flat site on the south side of a great artificial lake in Killingworth, Northumberland.
Pics -
thecoastandnorgass094.jpg

thecoastandnorgass090.jpg

thecoastandnorgass083.jpg

thecoastandnorgass089.jpg

thecoastandnorgass087.jpg

thecoastandnorgass085.jpg

thecoastandnorgass081.jpg

thecoastandnorgass071.jpg

thecoastandnorgass069.jpg

thecoastandnorgass068.jpg

thecoastandnorgass067.jpg