real time web analytics
Report - - Sunnybank Mills, Leeds - December 2012 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sunnybank Mills, Leeds - December 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jST

LLS.
Regular User
Sunnybank Mills, Farsley - Leeds. December 2012.

IMG_1117.jpg

Ever since moving to the area I’d had a hankering to have a look around this enormous ex-worsted mill just up the road. There have been numerous open days including one as part of the English Heritage weekend back in early September but alas I was away on holiday...

Anyhow, fast forward three months and after attending a public consultation showcasing the vision for the conversion of the entire complex, I spoke with one of the directors of the estate that owns the mill and he kindly agreed to let me and a non member pal have free reign around the disused parts of the mill.

IMG_1033.jpg

It’s a large complex, which closed as a fabric business in 2006. It has undergone semi conversion, where disused parts are landlocked by existing active workshops and businesses that reside within these converted parts of the mill buildings. There’s a lot of big empty bits which are scheduled for demolition once EWH’s masterplan gets off the ground. See plans and current conversions here: http://www.sunnybankmills.co.uk/

IMG_0642.jpg

The mill owners have put together a “working archive” of the historic leftovers of the mill, including a physical intellectual property record of every single fabric design owned by the company which are laid out in several huge racking units and this is where we'll start... I'll apologise now for pic heaviness.

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg
IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg
IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1026.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg
IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1041.jpg
IMG_1025.jpg
IMG_1059.jpg

Next through working studios and a bespoke paintshop to the "buildinglocked" part of the mill which housed the main spinning and dyeing machines / processes. Decay has set in here, and although these buildings are not earmarked for conservation, it's a shame.

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1092.jpg
IMG_1090.jpg

This machinery is to be saved as working museum pieces.

IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1074.jpg
IMG_1083.jpg

IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_1084.jpg
IMG_1100.jpg

IMG_1096.jpg

Cont...

Last edited: