real time web analytics
Report - - New Theatre, Oxford - July 2013 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - New Theatre, Oxford - July 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

One Flew East

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Sometimes I'm taken by surprise by my lethargy and indifference to this game; I was aiming low, but by pure chance I managed to achieve far lower than my wildest expectations with this one. This is neither empty or derelict, but it did have the decency to be closed on the days in question.
If you remotely care (and I didn't) this is the third incarnation of theatre building built on this site in George Street, and was completed around 1933. It's not listed status, so even Oxfordshire Council must therefore be equally underwhelmed by it. What is noteworthy is the fact that it was in the same family-run ownership for a long period of time, and that they used to entertain service personnel free of charge during World War Two.

You can reasonably go to the first stage any time, day or night. The final 30 feet or so I was going to suggest that you might want to do in the hours of darkness, being as you are, open to the elephants. Unless of course you have a pressing wish to end up having a conversation with the Oxford rozzers.
In fact, go right to the top during the day, it'll make your visit much less uninteresting.
Some of my night time shots were at ISO 25,000, for the technical reason that I couldn't be arsed to change the dial on my camera.

NewTheatreOxforda001_zps88611021.jpg

NewTheatreOxforda003_zps7b433716.jpg

NewTheatreOxforda004_zpsc845bdbb.jpg

I'm just going to crop heavily the previous shot as I think I recognise someone I used to know in the street below.

NewTheatreOxfordab004_zpsb874af83.jpg

My mistake, that's not her. Too lively.

NewTheatreOxforda006_zps03694ed7.jpg

NewTheatreOxforda008_zps61c62a30.jpg

NewTheatreOxforda009_zps039c61c8.jpg

Below some people are queueing patiently to pay through the nose to get entry into some sweltering second-rate night spot to be served watered-down drinks all night, in their quest for 'fun'. It's great too that there are some overweight blokes with thyroid problems outside, dressed in hi-viz to 'look after them'.
I wish I could be there!

NewTheatreOxforda011_zps115d8dd3.jpg

NewTheatreOxforda018_zps930f0996.jpg

NewTheatreOxforda016_zpsc9b9f830.jpg

I found that by climbing down, and up and down again, enclosed ladders across to the opposite side of the roof, there was this:

NewTheatreOxforda017_zps9ec123a7.jpg

Looking down into the auditorium:

NewTheatreOxforda022_zpsad3419f2.jpg

NewTheatreOxforda020_zps06a3667e.jpg

NewTheatreOxforda013_zpsb7fc6680.jpg

NewTheatreOxforda012_zps244c040a.jpg

After all the non-excitement, I had to go bed.