real time web analytics
Report - - N Corah and Son, Leicester - August 2013 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - N Corah and Son, Leicester - August 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Shadow

Industrial Fanatic!
28DL Full Member
Hello everybody,

here is another report from me, the lone shadow, except this time I was not so alone, I was infact exploring with The Devil's Child.
It was in late August and it was hot day. We both travelled to Leicester to see where we could explore.
We found Corah quite easily, hid back in an industrial estate.
Entry to the site was very easy indeed as this site is very dilapidated and I would just like to say;
Corah is one of the most interesting derelict places I have ever seen, there is much to see and do.
But beware, if rats, make you feel funny try to avoid the boggy parts, because they are a plenty here.

I didn't realise how big this place actually was... The only way to describe it is like an estate of derelict buildings.
We were here at Corah for 3 and 1/2 hours and we still didn't get to see it all.
it seems alot of people are using it as a dumping ground as there was a lot of unrelated rubbish
and also we came acrosss a room that had a bed and a tv in it, so there is a possibility that there are squatters.

In 2012 there was an enormous fire that gutted part of it destroying more than 100 years worth of histroy. As a result; parts of the building are extremely unsafe.

As Devil Child and I moved up and down some of the floors we heard machines still whirring in certain places. I thought we were imagining it but as we left, we could see through one of the windows that the lights were still on and people were still working on one of the floors.

My personal favourite find of the day was an old black car that probably came from somewhere between the 1930’s and 1950’s. It was in very good condition and just left there – presumably forgotten about.

Now for some history about Corah:

N. Corah and Sons was a manufacturer of hosiery and textiles founded somewhere in the region of 1825, located in Leicester in the United Kingdom. At one time it was the largest knitwear producer in Europe, and its products had a major influence on the development and prosperity of the Marks and Spencer chain of retail stores.
The company was founded by Nathaniel Corah at the Globe Inn, Silver Street, in Leicester – a building which still survives, and which at that time was closely associated with the city's stockinger. Corah's business model was to buy completed stockings in Leicester, and to sell them elsewhere at a profit.
The firm was the first company to develop a relationship with Mark’s and Spencer, a well-known British retailer. The latter's St Michaels brand, which it used from 1928 until 2000, was inspired by Corah's use of "St Margaret" as a label for its clothing
Corah maintained a design room until at least the 1960s, which enabled it to present customers such as Marks & Spencer with designs for finished products such as dresses. It even sent clothes to Marks & Spencer already arranged by size so that they could go straight into the store. In the 1970s, the company's trade with Marks & Spencer was worth £20 million per annum – and Corah celebrated the "golden anniversary" of the relationship in 1976.
However, the downfall of the textiles trade had started in the 1960’s with higher demand in fashion and more expensive materials in a tighter, more low cost market.
By the 1980’s and 1990’s Corah was fastly declining. The factory doors were finally closed for the last time during the late 1990’s.

DSC01621_zps6f78c671.jpg

DSC01622_zpsd7212df5.jpg

DSC01623_zpsd2d872f8.jpg

DSC01629_zps793f50a1.jpg

DSC01630_zpsd8a1310a.jpg

DSC01632_zps350068db.jpg

DSC01637_zps543a53a1.jpg

DSC01646_zps5cc8ffa5.jpg

DSC01654_zpsfea0f19d.jpg

DSC01663_zps545abdd1.jpg

DSC01679_zps84c9c8de.jpg

DSC01691_zps574049d5.jpg