real time web analytics
Report - - Glen o dee Hospital, banchory. November 2013. | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Glen o dee Hospital, banchory. November 2013.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Telf

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited solo whilst working in nearby Aberdeen,

I was drawn to explore Glen o dee due the look of the buildings externals, only stayed around 30 mins due to time etc.

Some history:

The original building was built in 1900 and started its life as Nordrach on Dee Hospital, a sanctuary for tuberculosis patients. When TB died down it served as a luxury hotel (when it became "Glen O' Dee"), but was taken over during the war to serve as a billet for troops.

It reprised its role in contagious diseases when the typhoid epidemic hit nearby Aberdeen in the 1960s, but its last use was as a residential home for the elderly. The original building closed in 1998, when a new purpose built building was built on the same site.

A very gothic exterior
084_zpsf860bc74.gif

View attachment 567594

Quite a nice little find.
View attachment 567595

View attachment 567596

My favorite shot!
View attachment 567597

If I'd gone any closer to this spiral fire escape I would have been spotted! there's a new hospital at the rear of the old one, I could see and hear plenty of people about.
View attachment 567598

View attachment 567599

A few bob's worth of cast iron bath.
View attachment 567600

View attachment 567601

View attachment 567602

View attachment 567603

Then on with the 6 hour drive back to Warrington :( I did stop somewhere else on route.. report to follow.
Thanks for looking, Telf..

Who has read this thread (Total: 0) View details