real time web analytics
Report - - Boldovan / Strathmartine Asylum - Dundee - April 2014 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Boldovan / Strathmartine Asylum - Dundee - April 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Boldovan / Strathmartine Asylum – Dundee

1_zps6ac9e96c.jpg

History

"The Baldovan Institution was founded in 1852, mainly through the benevolence of Sir John and Lady Jane Ogilvy and from voluntary contributions and fees. It was established on the North bank of the Dighty as an orphanage, hospital and place of education and training for ‘imbecile’ children, accomodating 30 children. As such it was the first hospital of its kind in Scotland and the second in Britain. The Orphanage opened on 30th November 1854 and the Asylum opened on 6th January 1855.

In 1856 its name was changed to Baldovan Asylum and it expanded its operations after it received its license under the Lunacy Act of 1858, which legalised its function as a home for children. It was found that contact with 'imbeciles' had a detrimental effect upon the orphans and so in 1867 the Orphanage moved to other premises and the Baldovan Asylum concentrated its efforts on the care and education of mentally handicapped children. By 1879 the number of children accommodated at the Asylum had increased to 70 and the site where the Administrative block now stands was acquired. By 1904 the Main Building wards were built and occupied by 160 children.

The Mental Deficiency (Scotland) Act was passed in 1913, providing state supervision of mental defectives, which led to an increased demand for accommodation at Institutions like Baldovan. Between 1904 and 1932 further developments included another ward, staff residency, school facilities, a large Recreation Hall as well as occupational therapy and training in domestic, farm and garden work.

In 1925 the Baldovan Institution Confirmation Act sanctioned the trustees to form an Incorporation with the counties of Aberdeen, Forfar (Angus), Kincardine and Perth to undertake the management of the hospital with provision for children of all four counties.

In 1948 the running of the Hospital was transferred to the National Health Service. Subsequent developments included a change of name in 1959 to Strathmartine Hospital and major building works in 1963-1965, which saw the demolition of the original premises and the creation of new and improved facilities, including three new single story wards and a swimming pool. Two new 25 bed wards were opened in 1980."

My Visit

As I was passing thought it would be worth a quick stroll, after all someone had said it was worth a visit and was a huge site.

2_zps133b9f23.jpg

The photos are in no particular order, just the way I wandered around the buildings starting at what housed the boiler house and possibly the estates department. This being one of the grand entrances.

3_zpsfdd2e5a7.jpg

It soon became apparent that this place is well and truly trashed, local youth and nature having run riot in here over the years. Which is a shame as it must have been impressive once upon a time.

4_zpse8d0066b.jpg

Now all that’s left is peeling wall paper, rotting plaster and floors and empty spaces.

5_zpsb3feb295.jpg

At least the stair cases were of some interest if you could avoid falling through the floors, things were worse upstairs.

6_zpsf6d6892f.jpg

Soon back to the peeling wall paper, rotting plaster and floors and empty spaces. I thought St Lukes nr Huddersfield was bad.

7_zps6d4e92e7.jpg

Trouble with many hospitals and Asylums I find is they do get a bit samey, more or less all the buildings here were identical in their layout, the only thing differing was the amount of decay, vandalism and fire damage.

8_zpsf676822b.jpg

Here’s one of the very few interesting features left.

9_zpsf676822b.jpg

Back to another set of stairs as these were about the most interesting thing in the many identical buildings.

10_zpsdaaacb6c.jpg

Things were looking up as I found a corridor with a slightly different colour scheme.

11_zpsfdb3644c.jpg

Some more interesting stairs with a bit of graffiti thrown in, things were getting to be like a spot the difference game – 4 things different in here to the previous building!

12_zpsb95ca28a.jpg

A bit more graffiti, thankfully the artists decided to use different images in the identical corridors.

13_zps729c4921.jpg

May as well finish on another empty space with peeling wall paper, rotting plaster and floors and empty spaces.

14_zps961f621c.jpg

Well that was Strathmartine Hospital / Asylum, if I’m honest it’s probably one of the least inspiring places I have visited, probably about 10 years too late. Having said that it was worth a visit if only to keep me out of the hotel bar for a few hours.

Cheers,

TLR​

pantomime horse

Nay Nay and thrice Nay
28DL Full Member
once again TLR, you've managed, (well almost managed), to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice ones :)

I misread through my Migraine, i thought it said Moldovian asylum ......:eek:

At least it"s somewhere different, even if the Derp"s the same :)

Emma Connor

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is actually pretty devastating. The place has been completely ruined in the space of a few years. Such a shame!!

ASOM

One-Man Urbex Art Army
28DL Full Member
Well yeah not the best of the asylums out there, but I enjoyed it and would certainly have a quick run through if I was up that way! Thanks for sharing.

JonBoy

28DL Member
28DL Member
I'm surprised it's still standing. I've not be up there for a while. You go and have a look at the morgue?

Dissimulate

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Had a good mooch around here a few years ago now. Though it was bad when I was there!
Your shots have really done it more than justice!
Did you get in any of the smaller buildings? We go into the smaller one at the bottom of the site (was a bit of climbing involved)
had obviously been used for airsoft at some point, almost went on my arse slipping on a pile of BBs.
Great report, nice to see this site pop up again.

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
I did get into a few of the smaller buildings, but as with most of the site they were pretty trashed now. One interesting thing was a huge pool of recent blood outside the main doors of the admin building, looks as if someone got more than they bargained for trying to get in that way!

mrex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Had a good mooch around here a few years ago now. Though it was bad when I was there!
Your shots have really done it more than justice!
Did you get in any of the smaller buildings? We go into the smaller one at the bottom of the site (was a bit of climbing involved)
had obviously been used for airsoft at some point, almost went on my arse slipping on a pile of BBs.
Great report, nice to see this site pop up again.

Yeah, and the "mystery chair" that just "appeared" !

Me and Dissimulate went up one of the corridors in the main stone building, and round the corner, on the way back down the same corridor we had to squeeze past a chair, which neither of us can remember doing or seeing when we passed 3-4 minutes earlier....

Very spooky...

Mr Ex