real time web analytics
Report - - Metalbox Factory, Worcester - April 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Metalbox Factory, Worcester - April 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

PopPunkJamie

Irregular User
28DL Full Member
Visited with clebby. History also shamelessly taken from his report...

Well over 100 years ago, a local tinsmith, William Blizzard Williamson, founded a sheet metal works in Providence Street, and called it the Providence Works. It was small but it became the base of operations for Metal Box's biggest money -spinner in the UK, for at Worcester (Perry Wood), the firm made up to two million open top cans a day to carry vegetables, fruit, beer, beefsteak, puddings and dairy cream. The Providence Works was amalgamated with a number of other UK can and tin box makers under the Metal Box Co. Ltd. trade mark name in 1930, to fight terrific competition from American high speed production, but Metal Box was founded nine years before.

In the old days, Providence Works produced travelling trunks, cash boxes, baths, general tinware and camping washstands for expeditionary forces. A special line was the beautiful Judge's and Barrister's Wig Boxes, and Worcester people may have seen the replica of the original F.A Cup which was stolen from an Aston shop window after the Villa had won the Cup. In 1885, George Williamson, son of the founder, invented and patented the cutter-lid tin, familiar to older readers who brought their favourite brands of cigarettes in 'round fifties'. On this device the British export trade in cigarettes and tobacco was built. Cigarettes packed in this way became familiar all over the world, and Williamson Patent Worcester was embossed on each tin.

After the 1914-18 War, the business took a new turn. The cutter-lid patent ran out and large tobacco firms started to make their own. The founder's grandson, G.Williamson, decided to extend the metal printing side of the business instead. But the factory still needed another product to replace the business lost by the patent expiry. To meet the growing need of the late 20's, the first high speed food can line was installed. It soon became apparent that the Providence Works was too small, and a new factory was built at Perry Wood, in 1931. The Prince of Wales, late Edward Vlll, visited the plant, which by then was producing up to a half million cans a day.

Not the most inspiring place to photograph but still has a few points of interest left before it's all cleared out. All a bit too modern for my liking but it was good to see something different from the usual manor houses etc. Photos are somewhat similar to clebby's, I also struggled to really capture the place as I was only expecting this to be a reccy so didn't bring my tripod.

I also failed to get any external shots, so I stole these off the internet....

0213219602_zps229ea184.jpg

72_zps6c836c33.jpg

Internals

IMG_3560_zpsf733d2b7.jpg

IMG_3566_zpsb7ad7ad9.jpg

IMG_3580_zps65eec988.jpg

IMG_3579_zpsa21d8fc3.jpg

IMG_3588_zps25480c58.jpg

IMG_3589_zpsa0d0d607.jpg

IMG_3601_zpsb22b4650.jpg

IMG_3612_zps3724cb00.jpg

Dempsey

The Human Turbine.
28DL Full Member
Passed by working a trian to Long Marston the other day. Looks like its getting stripped for demo.

Did you have a rummage around the whole site?

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
Passed by working a trian to Long Marston the other day. Looks like its getting stripped for demo.

Did you have a rummage around the whole site?

We saw the lot, with the exception of an outbuilding at the rear (vehicle maintenance?). It was stripped to fuck back in April 2015 when I last had a poke so I can only imagine it's got even worse. Go to the school instead!

Bonnieval

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi how do you get in this one I no roughly where it is but can’t find an entrance way

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
Hi how do you get in this one I no roughly where it is but can’t find an entrance way

How have you been unable to find an entrance way, if you don't even know it's exact location to begin with? My guess is you haven't looked and have no intention of looking, but expect it to be given to you on a plate here.

Bonnieval

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
How have you been unable to find an entrance way, if you don't even know it's exact location to begin with? My guess is you haven't looked and have no intention of looking, but expect it to be given to you on a plate here.
I know where it is as I live around the corner from here but don’t know where to get in there where 2 entrances one with I have no clue how to get on as it’s still used by crown and the over one has a big green fence all the way around it I went last night but the way I was gonna go in has been succoured and is to dangerous to climb over also they have started demolishing the place now