real time web analytics
Report - - DreamLand Cinema/Arcade Margate April 2014 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - DreamLand Cinema/Arcade Margate April 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
First saw this in 2010 from Obscurity and co when it was still very fresh and had power on and at the time didnt know the guys that well as i was a Noob so didnt get chance to see it,it has been looked after of sorts and work to the roof was carried out 3 odd years ago.Squatters have had their way with the place which im assuming had something to do with access.After 4 odd years of battles over ownership etc things have finally been settled and various groups are involved to get the whole complex up and running again in all its glory!!

Thanks to the guy who posted the pics on the facebook group for the mutually beneficial chat.

Explored with Obscurity,UrbanGinger & Spaceinvader

Brief bit of history..

On 25 April 2008 the Dreamland Cinema had its Listed building status increased from Grade II (buildings of special architectural or historic interest) to Grade II* (particularly significant buildings of more than local interest). The Cinema, which featured a Compton theatre organ,no longer operates after it was closed in 2007 following the opening of a new multiplex cinema at Westwood Cross.

How the place looked 4 years ago

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/theatres-cinemas/50387-dreamland-cinema-may-2010-a.html

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0034_2.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg
DSC_0023.jpg

Entrance to the screens

DSC_0026_2.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg
DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

Few from the bingo hall

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

Behind the stage in bingo area

DSC_0014.jpg

And the Not quite so grand as 4 years ago compton organ

DSC_0038.jpg

Sorry its a lot of images..but there is so much in there to see and even though ive spent a fair while walking round all the side rooms and below to the strong room etc i didnt take half as many pics as i could have and tried to keep the numbers down for the report

Last edited:

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Should be all up and running if the guys doing it up get it sorted,think the rest of the site has priority tho

projectionman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
excellent pics there mate especially of the westar and projectors and remains of the cakestand on the floor also the 13,000 ft tower spools ive worked with all this type of equipment

projectionman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
the film projector is a westar 35mm projector and the cakestand was used to run the film off onto the projector also the big spools were used to hold a full feature film ha ha

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
the film projector is a westar 35mm projector and the cakestand was used to run the film off onto the projector also the big spools were used to hold a full feature film ha ha

yeah i kinda got where you was coming from ..to be honest for me it was seeing the compton ,and getting in somewhere i used to go as a kid

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one mate, especially love that organ shot, you got that one great with the lens! Enjoyed your report, thanks for sharing!

projectionman

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
we have one of those compton organs in our local super cinema the plaza in stockport which is still in use

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
we have one of those compton organs in our local super cinema the plaza in stockport which is still in use

Think this precise one is one of a kind?may have read that wrong but if not then its one of two ever built

crazyjonhere

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Wow nice report but someone should save that organ if its like you say one of two made it should be out of there and being reused somewhere

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Wow nice report but someone should save that organ if its like you say one of two made it should be out of there and being reused somewhere

there has been a lot of agro over who owns the site,and as i assume someone from the trust pointed out on the fb group under this linked post ,someone left the door unlocked,squatters got in and things got worse inisde.But things are moving in the right direction

crazyjonhere

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
there has been a lot of agro over who owns the site,and as i assume someone from the trust pointed out on the fb group under this linked post ,someone left the door unlocked,squatters got in and things got worse inisde.But things are moving in the right direction

We had one just like that one in a cinema that had been turned into a bingo here in Plymouth apparently the organ had been hidden under the floor in its raising elevation pit for 40 years Rick Wakeman & Peter Hammond saved that one they even got it playing as well after 40 years http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOK8PU9Eji8