real time web analytics
Report - - Durham Palladium, May 14 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Durham Palladium, May 14

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

H1971

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Was asked along by AuntieKnickers and The Stig who fancied a 2nd visit. Of course I wasn't going to say no :) Was rather surprised at how big this place was, it is rather trashed, but enjoyed it all the same.
History -
The Palladium Cinema opened on 18th March 1929 with Alice Terry in “Garden of Allahâ€￾. Seating was provided in stalls and circle levels It was the first cinema in Durham licenced to operate on Sundays. On Sundays they were restricted to one evening performance and the programme had to be approved by both the Chief Constable and the Bishop of Durham.
The Palladium Cinema was damaged by a fire on 16th January 1934. It was refurbished and re-opened on 5th March 1934 with Leslie Henson in “It’s A Boyâ€￾.
The Palladium Cinema was refurbished in late-1967, re-opening with “The Bible-In the Beginningâ€￾. The cinema closed in 1976 and operated as a Bingo Hall until 1982 when it became a Church.
It has now stood empty since 2004.

Pics -
durhampalladium095WM_zps928061ec.jpg

durhampalladium093WM_zpsbbe4cb00.jpg

durhampalladium081WM_zps2500d700.jpg

durhampalladium064WM_zps44051ff7.jpg

durhampalladium067WM_zps8dd10419.jpg

durhampalladium050WM_zps30e12465.jpg

durhampalladium038WM_zps8ed2edae.jpg

durhampalladium026WM_zps3f188bb6.jpg

durhampalladium006WM_zps456569e3.jpg

durhampalladium016WM_zps0924e77b.jpg

durhampalladium002WM_zpsd9381259.jpg

Enjoy :)

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
had a look here recently but my pics didnt come out very well so didnt bother to post any. Like you i thought it was much bigger inside than i was expecting and well trashed still its one off the list i suppose. Good work btw.

The_Raw

Staff member
Looks like there's some really interesting bits and pieces left in there, was there anything that even resembled an auditorium or has it been transformed too much?

jdtaylor

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks like there's some really interesting bits and pieces left in there, was there anything that even resembled an auditorium or has it been transformed too much?

That whole area felt run down last time I was in the area, if it's of interest I'm not sure if the Youngs Pub is still empty, this was just a few doors down on the corner, I think that might have gone due to the customers possibly going up a short way to a large JD Wetherspoons but the pub further up also nearer the bridge which you have to go down from the footpath into may be empty, I don't have a clue as I've not been in there in ages, locals may know but these may be two other places of interest for you.