real time web analytics
Report - - Dyson Thermal Technologies - Stannington, Sheffield - May 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dyson Thermal Technologies - Stannington, Sheffield - May 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Jidell

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So headed over to the place with a few non members. The place is deteriorating fast but theres still opportunities to take some good pictures! we couldn't have picked a better day, the weather was fantastic for exploring ;)

A little bit of history on the site

The company was founded by John Dyson who began mining clay and making bricks in the early 1800s. From the very beginning the business was a success. The 1834 Sheffield trade directory lists - “John Dyson - Brick Maker, Stanningtonâ€￾ which indicates that he ran the business on his own. However, by 1838 the business was listed as “John Dyson and Son - Black clay miners and firebrick manufacturers, Griffs House, Stannington.

Dyson's were manufacturers of Refractory material, ceramics for the steel industry, they also produce fire backs and other household ceramic bricks for the likes of Aga's etc. They have also been know to sell clay for use in Well Dressings.

Unfortunately Dyson's traditional manufacturing process relied heavily on gas fired kilns. With increased in energy costs the plants was no longer economically viable due to competition from outside the uk, despite the very best efforts of the management and staff at Dyson, the site eventually closed around 2005 i believe.

On with the pictures.... :)

P5170304_zpscdfde0b3.jpg

P5170326_zpsa64bf30c.jpg

P5170330_zpsb4b4c797.jpg

P5170353_zps76f5c02c.jpg

P5170380_zps24469383.jpg

P5170392_zps89cadae2.jpg

P5170413_zps10a6322b.jpg

P5170414_zpscdf79c9e.jpg

P5170436_zpsee3e4b44.jpg

P5170463_zps44589461.jpg

P5170468_zpseacbcc39.jpg

P5170483_zps0d6df420.jpg

All in all 166 photos were taken so if anybody would like to see some more pictures message me! :)

Jidell

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
some good shots there mate sure this place will not last much longer i drive past it a lot and it just looks more of a mess every time i see it good on you for getting it done before its too late :thumb

Thankyou ***********! i knew that it was deteriorating fast, my nan and grandad live in stannington and he drives past often and said the exact same as you! It needed documenting and i love exploring.... put the two together and we have a plan!! :thumb

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice pictures, thanks for the update.

A couple of years ago this was a nice little explore. The stores were full of interesting bits and pieces but it had been pretty trashed by last summer when I last stopped by. It'd be good to watch the chimney come down when they get to it!

Jidell

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice pictures, thanks for the update.

A couple of years ago this was a nice little explore. The stores were full of interesting bits and pieces but it had been pretty trashed by last summer when I last stopped by. It'd be good to watch the chimney come down when they get to it!

Thankyou very much :) ! Most of it is trashed now, it has deteriorated fast. Seeing the chimney come down would be a fantastic sight if they ever got round to demolishing it! Its supposedly been underway since summer 2012 haha

Who has read this thread (Total: 4) View details