real time web analytics
Report - - Church of St Saviors Bacup - June 2014 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Church of St Saviors Bacup - June 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Tazmac25

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is my second urban explore - and again a nice success
Church is in a really good state of repair considering how long its been stood empty
Windows mainly intact
Metal fairies and chavs seem to have left this place alone - and lets hope it stays that way

Brief history - mainly taken from rossendale-fhhs website
The church, 120 ft. long and 53 ft. wide was built in the Early Pointed Gothic style from stone quarried on Mr. Holt's (the original benefactor) estate with pillars of polished red granite. Seating accommodation was provided for 1,000 people. The tower, which stands on the north side of the chancel, is surmounted by a spire 150 ft. in height. A small transept was built on the south side of the church.
It was used originally as a pew for the Holt family but later the font was transferred to this chapel from its former position in the chancel. The church contains a baptistry for the immersion of adults. It is sunk in the chancel floor and is covered by an ornamental grating.
The above information was obtained from the 1865 - 1965 Centenary Handbook
When the Reverend Eddie Ashworth retired in 1999 the parish became a joint benifice with Holy Trinity Church, Stacksteads. The Church held it's final service in October 2007 and the parish merged with Holy Trinity, Tunstead.

imagejpg6.jpg

imagejpg5.jpg

imagejpg4.jpg

IMG_4959.jpg

IMG_4932.jpg

IMG_4926bw.jpg

IMG_4919.jpg

IMG_4918.jpg

IMG_4910.jpg

DSCF0115.jpg

thanks

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User
hope you didn't touch the pulpit, I was running around naked in there getting pics a year or so ago :D

Good to see it's not fucked over

othersideofmidnight

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi all..just to let everyone know that tried to get into church and its now locked up very tight with no way in that I could see. Just so that people don't waste time going to the site.

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Nice report - I really like the look of this. That shot of the mossy stairs is awesome too! Good effort for your second explore.

Hi all..just to let everyone know that tried to get into church and its now locked up very tight with no way in that I could see. Just so that people don't waste time going to the site.

Thoughtful, but there is no wasted time looking for ways into places, it's all part of the fun. :thumb

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thoughtful, but there is no wasted time looking for ways into places, it's all part of the fun. :thumb

Second that for sure, I've spent hours trying to get access, sometimes you find new things, that's always awesome.

Love the report and pics, keep reporting and exploring!

Tazmac25

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Went back today
Gutted shiny new Yale lock
Did get some more external shots and came across some old cars so not all bad
X