real time web analytics
Report - - South East Essex College of Arts & Technology - Southend - May 2014 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - South East Essex College of Arts & Technology - Southend - May 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Boomstick84

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi All. This is my first report so any pointers and constructive criticism are gratefully appreciated!:thumb

HISTORY

I couldn't find much official history on this place but the building has been there for as long as I can remember. Some basic info courtesy of a certain encyclopedic website...

"South Essex College of Further and Higher Education is a further education college located over three main sites in Basildon, Southend-on-Sea and Grays in Essex. The college provides courses for students of all ages, from 14 to 19 year-olds to undergraduates, adults and businesses.

The college was originally founded in 1899 as an art school and was later renamed as the Junior Day Technical School with the curriculum being restructured to include commercial and industrial skills for education in courses like plumbing. The college became South East Essex College of Arts and Technology in 1991.

In 2004, the college building in Southend relocated to a new £52m campus in the centre of Southend as this site was closer to main public transport routes, the high street and right next to the Southend Central mainline railway station. This has left the old campus site empty since.

The site has long been under consideration for redevelopment, initially into student accommodation and then a residential block of flats but, like much of the derelict buildings along Victoria avenue, this has yet to happen."

THE EXPLORE

A solo visit. I have long wanted to take a look around the empty campus but due to being in a less then ideal location (between a busy residential street directly overlooked by the busy council/registry offices, numerous CCTV cameras and, of all things, Southend nick!) and the place being locked down pretty tight I have never previously made a serious attempt. However, on a sunny Saturday morning with the Mrs at work and nothing better to do I decided it was worth a shot. :D

The site is pretty massive but due to various reasons I wasn't able to make it into the main building on the day but did manage to access a smaller second building which I hadn't even know was there (the site is like a jungle in places, it was well hidden!) so all was not completely lost.

After a couple of hairy moments (no pun intended) involving one big fox and a startled cat I was inside and able to spend a good couple of hours undisturbed before leaving quietly.

SEECExteriorSign.jpg

Jungle.jpg

The red arch once straddled the pathway leading to the main rear entrance to the building, now completely overgrown.
SEECollegeBuildingEXT.jpg

SEECOvergrownSign.jpg

The main conference hall of the second building. The window looks directly out Southend Constabulary's main carpark :rolleyes:
ConferenceHall.jpg

Podium.jpg

StairsBelow.jpg

Office1.jpg

Office2.jpg

Russ.jpg

Office3.jpg

BTBox.jpg

Haven't seen any of these since I was at college myself! :D
floppybox.jpg

Cabinet.jpg

Filing.jpg

Interior.jpg

Couch.jpg

storeroom.jpg

sink.jpg

MainEntrance.jpg

Hope you enjoy! :thumb

Boomstick84

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for the heads up mate. :thumb

Tweeked some settings in my Photobucket which must have caused some problems. Everything seems to be appearing now from what I can see?

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Really like the signpost in the bushes photo by the way. Nicely captured!

Boomstick84

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lived in southend a while but never been inside here. Any tips

If you're in Southend then best to wander down and take a look, finding a way in for yourself is half the fun!

Have a look, keep your eyes peeled and good luck. :)

The best tip I can give you is to take a look at the forum FAQ's as openly asking for access info generally isn't the done thing. It'll potentially save you some "awkward" responses.

Look forward to hopefully seeing your report! :thumb