real time web analytics
Question - - Ordnance Survey Maps | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Ordnance Survey Maps

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

eclectic

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Does anybody use these & what format do you use(Paperback/Android/IOS)?

I was thinking of investing in some for exploring, maybe 1:25000 scale and was looking for some advice.

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
Download View Ranger on any smart phone and you get one region of the 1:50,000 series OS maps to use in it for FREE. Works off-line and with GPS to show you precisely where you are, does all the stuff you'd expect like route tracking, markers etc. I'd still have a paper copy of a map if I was using it for proper navigation rather then just to play around with like I generally do, but it is quite a good app in my opinion. Uses a LOT of space on your phone thou.

you can download 1:25,000 series maps into it as well, you get one of these for free as well to try out.

One thing it does show with the GPS feature is how incredibly accurate OS maps actually are.

Muttley

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Can't think of any reason to need an OS map "in the field" but they can be useful for research, esp. culverts.

There's an OS map layer in Bing Maps

eclectic

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for the info guys :)

Download View Ranger on any smart phone and you get one region of the 1:50,000 series OS maps to use in it for FREE. Works off-line and with GPS to show you precisely where you are, does all the stuff you'd expect like route tracking, markers etc. I'd still have a paper copy of a map if I was using it for proper navigation rather then just to play around with like I generally do, but it is quite a good app in my opinion. Uses a LOT of space on your phone thou.

you can download 1:25,000 series maps into it as well, you get one of these for free as well to try out.

One thing it does show with the GPS feature is how incredibly accurate OS maps actually are.

Thanks mate :) I just downloaded it onto the tablet. Just for a bit of fun whilst out exploring somewhere like.

Tried out the 1:25000 download & I see what you were saying by being accurate.

Thanks again dude :thumb

mike os

28DL Member
28DL Member
another vote for viewranger, I use it for walking mainly as it is totally off network, google maps and others usually require a data connection to work... some of the places I get to that is not going to happen in my lifetime... they cant even get the phone to work, let alone data

OS maps are very cheap on it... iirc about £200 gets you the entire uk at 1:50ooo, or you can but individual maps as required

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Id rather use a waterproof paper map for outdoors work, no point in risking a very expensive device for the sake of a tenner.

If you have time to prep, just get the OS maps from Streetmap...

For example; Dudley...

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf...searchp=s.srf&dn=566&ax=394891&ay=291460&lm=0

or a section of Dartmoor...

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf...&searchp=s.srf&dn=566&ax=259362&ay=73674&lm=0

Defaults to 50k, can zoom in to 25k.

Just print them, or screenshot them, 10p laminate at home, and your set.

GAJ

Mr Muscle
28DL Full Member
Used to use gvSIG on mobile until it got a bit shitter. Mainly used google maps with shit tons of lines & pins for exploring & OS Explorer paper maps for anything countryside.