real time web analytics
General - - ROC Map (things to do during boring exercises) | ROC Posts | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General - ROC Map (things to do during boring exercises)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Steambod

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thought you might be interested in this

P6127942_zps08dbbbe1.jpg

Used to be on the wall in 30 Post Dalston near Carlisle. Quite a few posts had something similar and crews would use them to plot explosions during quiet period in the exercises. This shows the stuff from the last exercise, though why anybody'd want to nuke the fells or Haggbeck I don't know! (Though having lived at Penton I could probably understand the latter!) ;)

Went to have a look at the post a couple of years later and it had gone completely. Even the hump. Reckon the farmer had smacked in the shafts and possibly the roof and flattened the lot as there was no trace whatsoever.

Normally during exercises there was very little to do, though one post I was involved with was in the middle of a chicken farm and despite the 6ft high fence around it they always used to get into the compound through the 6" gap under the gate :banghead If things were quiet we'd sometimes grab one or two and drop them down the hatch and let the guys on duty have some fun rounding them up and hauling them out! :laugh

Svend

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Takes me back. My family were in 22 Group, Crew 1 at Carlisle. Sadly long demolished and only a large aerial mast left opposite the old Carlisle R.A.F. 14M.U. site which in itself is pretty much long gone (bar a few buildings and hangars) and now an industrial estate.

Svend

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As you say many had smaller maps, this map may of been a map which belonged to a member rather than an official one. Many posts were personalised while some were maintained to exact standards, but when down one of these for long exercises I guess you'd want to make it more homely. I guess it all depended on how strict your most senior officer was.

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
When I was stationed at CAD Kineton we had an organised visit by the ROC and members of the local 'Edge Hill' Post were among their number, now I have to admit I need not know the post was there, and along with a few others we were invited to go and have a look. We took with us a MOD issue Midlands Map and after visiting donated a few other bits & bobs! Cannot say I have ever seen a report on this post (Edge Hill) that is.

Bubblehead has it still sealed in 2007

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/edgehill-roc-post-warwickshire-group-7-08-2007.t22795