real time web analytics
Report - - The Edge Climbing Centre, Sheffield - June 2014 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Edge Climbing Centre, Sheffield - June 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
The Edge Climbing Centre first opened its doors in 1994. The centre, however, closed in May 2014, approximately 20 years on from when it initially opened. Although it is now likely to be regarded as a smaller climbing centre, as other much larger centres have opened in recent years, it did begin as one of the highest indoor climbing walls available at the time, offering a range of climbs that averaged at a height of approximately 13 metres; perfect for the fervent climber of Sheffield. The Edge Climbing Centre was, additionally, a founding member of the Association of British Climbing Walls (ABC), which was also founded in 1994. There are currently 80 listed members of the association, including The Edge, and a further twenty which are considered as ‘aspirant members’. The Edge was especially unique as it was one of very few climbing walls to feature two large articulating walls, with one of those capable of being orientated to an angle of 45 degrees. In 1998, following a change in ownership, the bouldering wall was also entirely rebuilt, doubling its original size. The centre offered a range of courses, including; birthday parties, regular children’s sessions, adult introduction courses and coaching sessions. Despite its somewhat dishevelled appearance, the centre remained reputable, and was well-known for having taught many people how to climb and understand the basic skills that are required for safe autonomous participation in the activity.

Sheffield is often celebrated as the ‘Climbing Capital’ of the UK due to its close proximity to the Peak District, which famously offers a mixture of gritstone and limestone rock, with each offering a wealth of ‘traditional’ and ‘sport’ climbing routes. Equally, it is also recognised for the diverse selection of indoor climbing facilities located across the city itself. Yet, admittedly, as many may hasten to add, this statement about the ‘Capital’ status is controversial, as there are many other superb places to climb throughout the UK, and the market has clearly become saturated in Sheffield; indicated by the fact that The Edge Climbing Centre has closed its doors.

After walking around aimlessly for a larger part of the day, we stumbled across The Edge Climbing Centre and an ideal opportunity to enter the premises presented itself. In an instant we were inside and able to stealthily explore the site and capture countless photographs. The lights were on within the building, yet, luckily for us, there seemed to be no one around. Although the main reception area and changing facilities appear to be remarkably dated and awfully decorated, the main wall and bouldering room are each especially spectacular and one can’t help but feel a little taken aback, even disconcerted, at the desertion of something so immensely imposing and dramatic – particularly when stood beneath the large overhanging walls that transcend across the ceiling.

1: The Edge Climbing Centre Main Hall

DSC_0243a_zpsff445a77.jpg

2: Main Hall

DSC_0240a2_zpsed0b8c54.jpg

3: Overhanging Walls

DSC_0247_zpsa0a0545b.jpg

4: Rooftop Overhanging Walls

DSC_0249b_zpscd085087.jpg

5: Looking Up the Tower

DSC_0252a_zps3979faf4.jpg

6: Grading Board for Articulating Walls

DSC_0220a_zps31eef18d.jpg

7: From the Articulating Slab

DSC_0163a_zpsbcd97624.jpg

8: Ground Shot of the Tower

DSC_0150_zpsaf9953fa.jpg

9: Bouldering Room - End of the Room

DSC_0103_zpsea6f6a28.jpg

10: Bouldering Room - Front of the Room

DSC_0106a_zpsc89c3721.jpg

11: Training/Warm Up Corridor

DSC_0112a2_zps886237e0.jpg

12: The Edge Climbing Centre Display Signs

DSC_0124_zpse2682ff3.jpg

13: The Edge Climbing Centre Fabric Sew-On Badge

DSC_0140a_zpscd922c24.jpg

14: Main Reception and Cafe Area

DSC_0269_zps56e8924d.jpg

15: Large Climbing Picture

DSC_0280_zps5d002d93.jpg

16: Climbing Harness

DSC_0258a_zpsa4477b5f.jpg

17: Stairs to Toilets/Changing Rooms

DSC_0302_zps6bc21527.jpg

18: Master Locker Key in Lockers

DSC_0309_zpsf391ed34.jpg

19: Male Changing Room

DSC_0312_zps69197f63.jpg

20: Storage Cupboard - Leftover Climbing Holds

DSC_0346a_zps6eab4387.jpg

21: Upstairs Office

DSC_0370_zps7719ef74.jpg

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
Re: The Edge Climbing Centre - Sheffield - June 2014

Nice.....most unbusy climbing wall ever,tempted to go there just to have it all to myself

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member

Nicely captured :thumb

I spent many a happy hour here in the 90's, there weren't too many big indoor walls to climb on in winter so the 1 hour drive still made it one of the closer walls back then.

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member

Nicely captured :thumb

I spent many a happy hour here in the 90's, there weren't too many big indoor walls to climb on in winter so the 1 hour drive still made it one of the closer walls back then.

Cheers man.

I knew it was quite an old wall (one of the first larger ones to emerge). Cool to see that people travelled in quite far to get a climb in. Very silent in there now though.

MMU

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

I have heard that this might be opening again soon.

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member

I have heard that this might be opening again soon.

Awesome! Seems a shame to waste such a place. It could be reopened tomorrow to be honest, if someone put a bit of money into it. Is there any info on the place you've found?

MMU

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Just an overheard rumor really, but yeah it was always pretty busy whenever I was going by right up until it closed.

unplugged

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Looks good.

Never made it here which is a shame. I think I did the Foundry last time I was in Sheffield.

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member

Looks good.

Never made it here which is a shame. I think I did the Foundry last time I was in Sheffield.

The Foundry is a popular wall. I think another one has opened in Sheffield recently too.

A-C-P

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Wow, I used to go here as a youngster. It's a shame to see it like that but really interesting to see it now. Thanks for sharing!

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member

Wow, I used to go here as a youngster. It's a shame to see it like that but really interesting to see it now. Thanks for sharing!

No worries dude.

Telf360x

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

to many people like boldering now, so the works and foundry are always busy

unplugged

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

It was the last time I was there.

The Works is bouldering only from memory.

Telf360x

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

thats the one, my bad, i know people seem to be keen on bouldering these days rather the climbing, oh well