real time web analytics
Report - - Wellesbourne Tower, Birmingham - June 2014 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wellesbourne Tower, Birmingham - June 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

iamsilverfox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Whilst driving through town to have a look at the typhoo factory, saw the boards had gone up around this. I had thoughts about it being empty for a while, but never ventured any closer. The boards confirmed it though and we returned back to have a look. Visited with Thooooom and two other non members.

Bit of history from uk housing wiki,

Wellesbourne Tower is a 16 storey tower block in the Highgate area of Birmingham. Plans for the block were approved in 1962 and it was completed in 1965 by Tersons. It is 47 metres tall and contained 93 flats.
Work to clear the tower began in 2009, although the council claimed at the time that it intended to retain the tower as part of the regeneration of the adjacent St Luke's estate. In September 2011, the council stated their intention to demolish the tower instead.

Once within the boardings, spent about 20 minutes mooching around outside (avoiding all the needles) until we spotted a relatively easy way in.

It's pretty gutted inside. Some floors contain partially furnished flats, with some interesting finds (like a barbie bike! :thumb) Some flats, and in a few cases the entire floor, had huge steel doors securing them with signs everywhere that read,

CAUTION
"This property has been subject to an invasive survey by Birmingham City Laboratories. Under no circumstance must any persons enter this property without prior permission.

After a little bit of smartphone research we found out they were there surveying concrete and not doing human experiments or anything ha. So i obtained prior permission (all be it from Thooooom :D) we proceeded.

Rooftop was pretty decent too with what looked like privacy glass around the edges. Good view of the surrounding areas. Overall a pretty decent afternoon spent. If you go watch out for all the used needles and related items around the outside and the unfavourable members of society exchanging what i can only imagine were football stickers near the gates :thumb

batman logo on the window!
14468007306_bfe15740a3_c.jpg

14487743341_04c12cb8ff_c.jpg

14489841754_74ef6975e1_c.jpg

14304507609_12774f1d25_c.jpg

14489840644_6e28cb6c83_c.jpg

I see you selfridges!
14489840204_7031817022_c.jpg

14487740671_d8e699d7bd_c.jpg

14304666267_068767437f_c.jpg

14511231063_478cee9707_c.jpg

The big doors i mentioned earlier. I think these were here because they were surveying the building whilst people were still living in it.
14511230633_0375dd61be_c.jpg

14491107185_796fbbcf6b_c.jpg

14491106805_c06e2b1c9b_c.jpg

14489835774_f07c5937f5_c.jpg

14491105475_a14abc303a_c.jpg

14491105425_0002ce0cb0_c.jpg

Wish i took a wider lens, and also wish i could find a place that'll dev and scan film without leaving all the residue on it :mad

thanks for reading! :thumb

Last edited:

Eight-Seven

This is not a good idea. Let's do it.
28DL Full Member
Re: Wellesbourne Tower, Birmingham, June 2014

Awesome job, man. Don't think anybody else in brum clocked this, I for onecwent right past it about 6 weeks ago and never noticed it was empty! I like the shots, top job matey :)

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User

I've been up a few of these over the years, not sure if the grim flat / million quid view contrast is quite right! You can't beat the roofs for views though!

iamsilverfox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Awesome job, man. Don't think anybody else in brum clocked this, I for onecwent right past it about 6 weeks ago and never noticed it was empty! I like the shots, top job matey :)

we literally drive past it all the time, but they all look run down and abandoned! it was only this time the boards went up around it.

Looks ok in the sunshine!

yeah i thought that ha.

I've been up a few of these over the years, not sure if the grim flat / million quid view contrast is quite right! You can't beat the roofs for views though!

everyone always moans at the birmingham skyline, but i really like it. I remember the first time i saw it, after going up fives ways tower. the 'grim flat' description is very true though!

Fudge

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Brilliant. I always think film brings out the tones of brick really well.

bubblehead

you lost the game
28DL Full Member

Looks well ghetto there. We were discussing it the other day and was told by someone who isn't on the forum it was literally full of smackheads when he went there, so decided to give it a miss.
Nice set of pics though :thumb

iamsilverfox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Yeah cheers. Definitely evidence of smack heads within the perimeter, like behind the boards. But nothing at all. Access wasn't super obvious so I doubt your everyday junkie would try that hard. Looks like they've just been crashing in the doorways and stuff.

Adders

living in a cold world
Regular User

Nice! Loving the film photos.

Try Palm Labs on Rea Street for decent processing and scans.

Derelict-UK

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

I quite like the primitive scanning/processing, reminds me of being a cheapo student and not being able to afford places such as Palm Labs/Colin Alfords etc. Bonus Print was where it was at!

As said, Like the film touch, gives the grotty interior the real feel of the place.

ultravox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

:thumb Good report...Might go and take a look myself!

Eight-Seven

This is not a good idea. Let's do it.
28DL Full Member

Had a quick snoop today but was dressed in the suit so didn't head in. No sign at all of any unsavouries, though.

Did you say this place is being demo'd? Love those sites as tgey rarely have as tight security, or nine at all, seemingly, here. Yay!

iamsilverfox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Superb images

:thumb Good report...Might go and take a look myself!

Good effort, cheers for sharing :)

thanks!

Had a quick snoop today but was dressed in the suit so didn't head in. No sign at all of any unsavouries, though.

Did you say this place is being demo'd? Love those sites as tgey rarely have as tight security, or nine at all, seemingly, here. Yay!

yeah according to the internet its up for demo. no secca here at all :thumb

Spark

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

really like them shots, also looks like a pretty decent view :)