real time web analytics
Report - - Lincoln Cathedral - Lincoln - June 2014 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lincoln Cathedral - Lincoln - June 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Matt Inked

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited with Hamtagger
After a recce 2 days previous we were itching to scale the Cathedral walls like ninjas. With cameras surrounding the building and nosey neighbours in every house, we knew we needed to be careful. The fact that the building is 700 years old made me a bit paranoid that if we used any part of it for support we would damage parts of it. I didn’t realise how high the building actually is until we were at the top! (510 feet above sea level) Climbing additional ladders at this height was enough to make my bum-hole twitch a bit too.
The climb went well and it was nice to finally have got up there but I broke my toe on they way down with what was probably only a 6 foot drop. (I felt like a retard) :banghead

History Lesson​
Building commenced in 1088 and continued in several phases throughout the medieval period. It was reputedly the TALLEST building in the world for 238 years (1311–1549). The central spire collapsed in 1549 and was never rebuilt. There are many legends and myths about the Cathedral and it's surroundings and it was also used in the movie "The Da Vinci Code" which is pretty cool if you haven't seen it.
Finally, The famous Lincoln Imp - the little devil perched high in the Angel Choir overlooking St Hugh's shrine. He was turned to stone, according to the legend, by the angels because he caused mayhem in the Cathedral. He is now the symbol of Lincolnshire and the Lincoln football team (the Imps)​

External
14496733074_2f63fe95c9_c.jpg

Jesus has been poo'd on
14496740734_94f178e162_c.jpg

Disturbing Headless Statues
14474939156_31f9295bbb_c.jpg

A skull eating a coin (This looks more modern than the others)
14311574287_ac404e8bb0_c.jpg

A Fire Breathing Dragon (That scratches walls)
14496724384_6b7956c4bd_c.jpg

No Admittance
14311429259_4b022416f8_c.jpg

Almost at the top
14518124723_227e7dae58.jpg

The Arch
14494675021_f15e75fea7.jpg

Me and Hamtagger
14474947486_283dae6599_b.jpg

Looking Across the City (I think thats the Priest/Organists house
14494626021_dca4f3b008_o.jpg

I really wanted to take pictures through these windows but didn't want to risk damaging the roof
14474907586_875517545b_c.jpg

Probably shouldn't have used my flash at midnight
14311758627_ec276bbdba_c.jpg

Thank you for reading my report. This is definitely ones of my favourite places so far, shame about the lack of pictures (Some were taken on my iphone) but we had to be careful with people walking past every 5 minutes and walking on a 700 year old building.

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
Well done to you both, great stuff :thumb

wonder what happened to the head from the headless statue.

Matt Inked

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've already checked Ebay's completed listings and nobody has ever tried selling them. They're probably sat in somesones shed.

Matt Inked

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Quality mate, well worth the effort this one. Glad to finally get it done! :)

I really enjoyed it. I'm expecting to see some more reports from here soon though. It will be more secure that Fort Knox this time next week!

canute

货车司机和国王
28DL Full Member
Excellent work :thumb

but I broke my toe on they way down with what was probably only a 6 foot drop

He doesn't like people climbing on the roof of His house, lucky you didn't knock the TV aerial or it'd have been more serious ;)

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Top work lads :thumb

Stairway to heaven .......only to be rejected ;) can you put a compensation aim in for your Toe?

Probably safer in the dark , no Peregrines to attack you

ExpoLight

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A good report with a nice collection of pics. I like the skull image nice 1, The revenue maker. The view looks good from the top too. Its good to see Lincoln Cathderal in a different perspective.

Last edited:

Matt Inked

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Top work lads :thumb

Stairway to heaven .......only to be rejected ;) can you put a compensation aim in for your Toe?

Probably safer in the dark , no Peregrines to attack you

Thanks mate :thumb
It was pitch black by the time we were up there and using a torch was tempting but you'd see it from miles away (Literally)

The Lone Shadow

Industrial Fanatic!
28DL Full Member
Great pictures! 510ft?! Thats higher than the statue of liberty, St Paul's cathedral and the Northampton National lift tower.

LS

Matt Inked

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great pictures! 510ft?! Thats higher than the statue of liberty, St Paul's cathedral and the Northampton National lift tower.

LS

Yeah, it's 510 feet (above sea level)
Have you ever been to Lincoln before? The Cathedral is situated at the top of "Steep Hill" which is about 238 feet above sea level itself.

rich_b1982

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good work fellas. But why the 510 ft bullshit? To quote wiki
height of 271 feet (83 m)

After all you didn't start your climb from sea level...

Otherwise impressive though!

Who has read this thread (Total: 171) View details