real time web analytics
Report - - Singleton ROC post. July 2014 | ROC Posts | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Singleton ROC post. July 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Longhairshitjob

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The third post I have visited on the South Downs in recent weeks.
They are not the best explore but once located, the history is interesting.
My uncle was a member of the Roc many years ago and disappeared away on odd weekends on "exercises".
He is a fat man and as a kid I wondered what these weekends away were all about, exercise not being in his vocabulary.:(
A weekend in a post would be tolerable but any more than that would be a total nightmare, even without a fat man using up all the air. :p:
I would not have been a calm observer if they dropped the bomb.

"The end of the Second World War brought with it the new and terrifying prospect of nuclear war. In Britain the public would have had a mere four minute warning of the approach of nuclear missiles and it was the job of the Royal Observer Corps to warn the public of the impending attack, report the explosions and plot the path of the deadly nuclear fallout." (Stolen from Roc remembered.com)

Fortunately we live in a different world now and the usefulness of these has diminished with the demise of the USSR and series of disarmament talks running up to the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty 1987: which created a global ban on short- and long-range nuclear weapons systems, as well as an intrusive verification regime and the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty signed 1991 that limited long-range nuclear forces in the United States and the newly independent states of the former Soviet Union to 6,000 attributed warheads on 1,600 ballistic missiles and bombers.
With only 6000 warheads the world was safe.:rolleyes:
Although there are several states that are not signatory's to the most recent nonproliferation agreements low numbers of weapons and no direct threat to the UK make a need for future monitoring posts unnecessary. (As long as nobody takes the piss out of Kim Jong-un's ridiculous haircut) :crazy

2D2A4260_zps99d399d0.jpg

The Post was locked on arrival.

2D2A4254_zps98983519.jpg

The usual chemical toilet is missing.

2D2A4250_zps4b045122.jpg

The view from the door, a homemade coat rack.

2D2A4239_zpscb761c97.jpg

A totally unseen new view of a Roc post.

2D2A4232_zps822f7047.jpg

The essential "don't throw it away box"

2D2A4224_zpsd0ef0fdf.jpg

A two hour timer.

2D2A4192_zpsbccbbecd.jpg

The eyewash is dated 1991, the toilet paper is soft and the dead vole is stiff.
I have seen the photographic paper in other sites I have visited. Must be a monitoring aid ?

2D2A4191_zpse8cd237b.jpg

There must have bee some kind of monitor on the wooden round disc.

2D2A4186_zps5d4d7c13.jpg

In a nuclear holocaust the GPO would be available to fix the phone just by dialling 151.

In the event of a prolonged lockdown the well known mutilation effects of the worlds second nuclear war would affect any observers exposed to radiation.
This is why the lid is lockable. I locked it on leaving to prevent marauding.
2D2A42621_zpsecb4b103.jpg

Last edited:

squiddey4

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi, Just visited this site today,
having never been to a ROC post I had no idea what to expect. The lid was still locked, interested to know how you obtained a key and how you go about unlocking it? Of course I would lock it when I leave so that it doesn't get ransacked by yobs (not that there's many yobs on the south downs!)

satimal

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi, Just visited this site today,
having never been to a ROC post I had no idea what to expect. The lid was still locked, interested to know how you obtained a key and how you go about unlocking it? Of course I would lock it when I leave so that it doesn't get ransacked by yobs (not that there's many yobs on the south downs!)

Access to these appears to be using a T-Bar key, and they seem pretty hard to come by - i've managed to find one man who makes them: http://12121.hostinguk.com/Bunkerkeys.htm. Of course, if you're of the engineering type then you could always make your own. I'm sure the exact dimensions can be found somewhere on the internet.