real time web analytics
Report - - The Wolverton Works/ Wolverton/ July 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Wolverton Works/ Wolverton/ July 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Shadow

Industrial Fanatic!
28DL Full Member
History
The Wolverton Works was developed by Robert Stephenson in 1838 after having great success in Manchester and Liverpool.
In the Victorian era, Wolverton and as the surrounding towns of Stony Stratford and Newport Pagnell were vastly populated to house workers for the train works.
The trams were also hauled by steam locomotives: the tram cars were certainly the largest ever in the UK and possibly the world. In modern times Wolverton railway works remains notable as the home of the British Royal Train but otherwise is very much reduced from its heyday.
As of 2013, the facility is much reduced: a full-scale train maintenance, repairs and refurbishment works is operated at the western end of the site, the central area is derelict but slated for redevelopment, the eastern end is a Tesco store with canal-side housing development at the extreme eastern end.
After Railcare went into receivership in September 2013 Knorr-Bremse took over the site as the current owners.
(Sourced largely from wikipeadia)

The Explore
Explored with Southside Assassin. I have been looking at exploring the Wolverton Works for some time now, but sketchy access routes, deadly, collapsing ceilings and sinking and treacherous floorboards have since prevented me from doing so. Anyway, Southside Assassin with his experience in this site convinced me that it was still safe and possible to do so.
So, it appears that access routes are getting harder and harder – as security get wiser to explorers and vandals entering. Once inside, treading carefully was the name of the game as many unstable paths lead ahead. Much of this site is made from wood and as a result has deteriorated rapidly over time. Massive sections of the roof are caving in at an alarming rate and smashing through the already swollen floorboards making certain areas almost inaccessible.
Despite the uncomfortable environment this site provided, it more than made up for visually and proved to be an absolute diamond in the rough, ranking as one of my top explores. There are many sites to be behold here; including old tools and machinery, old railway signs and some great aerial opportunities.
As we neared the end of our explore Southside Assassin swore he heard voices coming from the next room, which I initially disbelieved. After a few more minutes we heard what sounded like a security radio, so we hid in the darkness and waited for the intruders to pass. After a peep around the nearest corner it appeared that 4 local lads had entered the site and decided they wanted to check out the Wolverton Works. They were neither explorers nor vandals, just had a bit to drink and were curious of what was inside – They were really nice guys mind, but after climbing a staircase and watching it collapse underneath them, they soon realised that this place is no joke and thoroughly unforgiving, especially if you are intoxicated. We all left together in the end. They even gave us a free ride in a speed boat.
I must once again thank Southside Assassin for all the help and advice in cracking this tough nut.

Pictures

DSC03157_zps76612b0f.jpg

DSC03156_zpsfa2e0a0d.jpg

DSC03153_zps80444226.jpg

DSC03154_zps8e4f0d5c.jpg

DSC03166_zpsc695a816.jpg

DSC03176_zps322f431f.jpg

DSC03177_zpsc034b0b1.jpg

DSC03184_zps9e6ad5dd.jpg

DSC03193_zpsd2a44b30.jpg

DSC03198_zpsaed11bad.jpg

DSC03203_zps27908aba.jpg

DSC03208_zpse42df526.jpg

DSC03213_zps16da42af.jpg

DSC03218_zps25981d0c.jpg

DSC03223_zps80d9882a.jpg

DSC03226_zpsc44c57bf.jpg

DSC03227_zps6c460e32.jpg

DSC03228_zpsc315524e.jpg

DSC03237_zps76189897.jpg

DSC03239_zps79149c4c.jpg

DSC03249_zps6ee1028e.jpg

DSC03250_zpsc523ff91.jpg

DSC03252_zpsbdc4f141.jpg

Thank you all for reading my report, I hoped you liked.

The Lone Shadow

Southside UE

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
nice work LS u got some good ones there, and finally ticked this one off the list..
that speed boat exit made my day :D wonder how far the guys got. nutters.

SA

akar

28DL Member
28DL Member
nice work LS u got some good ones there, and finally ticked this one off the list..
that speed boat exit made my day :D wonder how far the guys got. nutters.

SA

haha we got all the way home in the speed boat !! was good bumping into you guys could arrange another exploration sometime soon??

1nk4

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
haha the locals you bumped into were my mates, i saw them last night and they told me about the whole experience haha, sounds like a laugh! now that them boys have their boat, soooo much exploring is gonna happen along that canal way :)

akar

28DL Member
28DL Member
Haha shame the old works are now houses they used too be rad back in the day too

The Lone Shadow

Industrial Fanatic!
28DL Full Member
Thanks for the nice comments everybody,
firstly, just wanted to say... The speed boat exit was fucking awesome! Really made it a very memorable explore.
Nice to bump in to you Akar. I must commemorate you and your friends for your bravery, being non-explorers and attempting to enter this site - A challenge for most.
1nk4>> Haha!! What a small world, lol.

The Lone Shadow.

Rik UE

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Southside did tell me about this explore and the speedboat, I have to admit I did chuckle!

Some nice shots, and one of my favourite explores as well :)

Top stuff

The Lone Shadow

Industrial Fanatic!
28DL Full Member
Yeah, I never thought I would ever leave an explore by means of speed boat, lol.
Who knows, next time it might be by helicopter :p:

The Lone Shadow