real time web analytics
Report - - Shorts Tunnels, Rochester, July 2014 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Shorts Tunnels, Rochester, July 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Cracked

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Shorts Brothers started off as an seaplane manufacturer on the Isle of Sheppy, but later moved to Rochester in 1913 due to the need for larger facilities. Here they expanded considerably over a 3.4 hectare site. In 1936, they opened a factory in Belfast. During the Battle of Britain, the Rochester factory was heavily bombed by the Luftwaffe, which meant most of the manufacturing was then concentrated in Belfast. However, the Rochester facility was still useful, and in 1941 they secured permission from the Ministry of Aircraft Production to build an underground factory next to their overground factories. The original tunnels were two large, brick lined vaults, which were used by the company as a workshop area. These were later connected, by a 1,300 ft tunnel, to a series of underground passages, which were constructed as a public air raid shelter. The air raid tunnels contain a number of original stencilled signs, for 'No Smoking' and for toilets, and are formed of two main parallel tunnels with intersecting spur tunnels. Both the factory tunnels and the air raid shelters have emergency escape adits, which exit in the cliff face at regular intervals or lead to shafts with manhole covers on the surface. There is a great deal of interesting WW2 graffiti to be found in the air raid tunnels, including drawings of planes etc. After the war, Shorts moved entirely to Belfast – where it still exists – and the underground tunnels were used by construction company Blaw Knox as storage, and detritus from this time can be found scattered around. The tunnels have remained abandoned since the 1990s, when Blaw Knox left, and a housing estate has been built on the factory site. The tunnel system has now been sealed (mostly!) to prevent further vandalism.

History mostly stolen from Sub-Brit.

Entry was a nice bit of a climb, but pretty relaxed after the locals were in bed. A big thumbs up to Wevsky for details on this - I've been searching around the esplanade for far too long on this one and despite finding sealed entries, the actual entrance always eluded me. Cheers for that one!

IMGP6659-001.jpg

IMGP6643.jpg

IMGP6639-1.jpg

IMGP6651.jpg

IMGP6674.jpg

IMGP6663.jpg

IMGP6638.jpg

IMGP6691.jpg

Last edited:

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
Nice. I've taken out the access pic as it causes us a fair bit of grief. Does it still say Els is a cunt everywhere?

Cracked

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Missed that if it did! Heh, that wasn't the access point I used, and it seemed sealed to me, but no worries.

It did say this, which made me giggle:
IMGP6666.jpg

Aron 'Djaz' Hobson

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
took me a while to first find the access 10 years ago but i still love it now i hear it another way now not the one i used without all the detail i know of where it is as i saw a fellow urbexer climb through it lol while we were in there