real time web analytics
Report - - Alpha Tower, Birmingham - July 2014 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Alpha Tower, Birmingham - July 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

iamsilverfox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited by myself after a golden window of opportunity showed itself for the rooftop of the second highest building in birmingham. (not counting bt tower because technically that's a mast :thumb )

Some history pinched off wiki.
It was designed by George Marsh of Richard Seifert & Partners as the headquarters of the commercial television company ATV and part of the companies' production studio complex known as ATV Centre, an adjacent shorter tower was planned but was never built. ATV closed in 1982, after which the building became offices. Birmingham City Council took a large tenancy of the building until they vacated in 2010. It is the third tallest building in Birmingham.

It is a landmark and is a Grade A locally listed building. It was nominated for listed building status by The Twentieth Century Society in 2002, although the owners applied for a Certificate of Immunity from Listing.

Arena Central Developments sold the building to Catalyst's European Property Fund in 2008 for £42.5 million. Birmingham City Council left tenancy in 2010 leaving the building 77% void. Nationwide Building Society put the building into receivership in 2012 and put it on the market for £10.25 million on 2013.

The building was bought for £14 million in February 2014 by Anglo Scandinavian Estates Group who are set to invest £9 million in a refurbishment of the building.

Only had my film camera, and once again, the dev's arent very good. I will be returning with a decent camera one evening.

Staircase, was nearly did after running up the 24 floors!
XLwvN1ll.jpg

Lots of the floors are vacant. Most of them look like this.
xzx4RNXl.jpg

wERA0Cal.jpg

8z6H2z3l.jpg

probably got cancer now looking at these things
eNdYawEl.jpg

3hDc7dTl.jpg

a4GltNql.jpg

Spent about 1 hour up there, and was pretty hot so i stopped for a little lie down :cool
hwuFle6l.jpg

WT4wrdVl.jpg

IdSWAKul.jpg

dDY0M4Fl.jpg

Po9QGQYl.jpg

HUKApOYl.jpg

HdZE3QJl.jpg

L0Rzd5Hl.jpg

thanks for looking :thumb

Fudge

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Alpha Tower, Birmingham, July 2014

Nice style of photos if you ask me, nice one.

bubblehead

you lost the game
28DL Full Member

Nice one, that has been on my list for years :thumb

bhg

In Search of Lost Time
Regular User

I really like you shots Silverfox! Thank you for sharing!

Derelict-UK

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

don't give up with that film camera!! love the feel you get from it, reminds me of my college years :)

Adders

living in a cold world
Regular User

Jesus, did you develop it in the canal or something? :D

The_Raw

Staff member

Jesus, did you develop it in the canal or something? :D

^ bit harsh!

Personally I really like your shots, looks like they were taken in the 80s which isn't a bad thing as far as I'm concerned, makes a change from the usual :thumb

iamsilverfox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Thanks guys. The developing is very hit or miss. Went back recently to get some dusk shots. Ill get these re scanned and the other roll done.

Adders

living in a cold world
Regular User

^ bit harsh!

Personally I really like your shots, looks like they were taken in the 80s which isn't a bad thing as far as I'm concerned, makes a change from the usual :thumb
I didn't say they weren't good shots, they are. But that's either 20 year old film or developed by cowboys.

PopPunkJamie

Irregular User
28DL Full Member

I didn't say they weren't good shots, they are. But that's either 20 year old film or developed by cowboys.

You can get some really cool shots from expired film, liking these photos and that rooftop!