real time web analytics
Report - - St Clements Psychiatric Hospital - Bow - London - July 2014 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Clements Psychiatric Hospital - Bow - London - July 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Boomstick84

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History​

Painstakingly highlighted, copied and pasted from a certain encyclopedic website.

St Clements Hospital was a mental health hospital in Mile End, in the East End of London. It closed in 2005.
The buildings were originally built in 1848-49 as a workhouse, for the Board of Guardians of the City of London Union.

The palatial design was by architect Richard Tress and cost over £55,000 to construct, boasted central heating, a dining- hall measuring 100 feet by 50 feet, Siberian marble pillars, and a chapel with stained glass windows and a new organ. It became an infirmary for the CLU in 1874, and in 1912 the Bow Institution for the long-term sick. In 1936 it became a psychiatric unit, under the St Clement's name again. It became part of the London Hospital in 1968 and went through various organisational changes until closure in 2005. Services were transferred to a new Adult Mental Health Facility at Mile End Hospital in October 2005.

Following its closure the site was transferred from the NHS to English Partnerships, then to the Homes and Communities Agency, and eventually the Greater London Authority, who in 2011 took the site to market so that it could be sold and redeveloped. In June 2012 it was announced that St Clements would become the United Kingdom's first urban Community Land Trust, with the East London Community Land Trust[1] working in partnership with Linden Homes (Galliford Try) andPeabody Housing Trust to bring the scheme forward.

In August 2013 St Clement's was reopened to the public for the first time as the site of Shuffle Festival, a community festival showing films curated by Danny Boyle. There was also an art exhibition, music, live projections and a 'Day of the Mind' - an alternative fête day with installations by artists and scientists exploring ideas about mental health. The Day of the Mind was free to the public and supported by the Wellcome Trust. The Arts Council and Canary Wharf Group also provided support for the festival. In December 2013 Shuffle returned as the Winter Shuffle, with an extended programme of art, film, storytelling, theatre, music and science from 5–15 December.

Redevelopment officially started in March 2014, with the Mayor of London Boris Johnson breaking ground on the site.

The cost of the homes within the Community Land Trust will not be based upon the open market rate but rather linked to the average mean salaries in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. The formula is reapplied every time a house within the Trust is sold, creating what organisers describe as "truly and permanently affordable housing"

The Explore​

Explored with fellow 28DL member robg172 (thanks again for the driving and company!).:thumb

After seeing some of the amazing reports on St Clements on the forums I’d had my eye on this one for a while and with the re-development of the site now very much underway it was now or never. We went for an early morning access which was surprisingly swifter and easier than anticipated and resulted in a good few hours of exploring and an enjoyable day.

Once on the site it was clear to see that demolition was well underway with what appeared to be three blocks now completely gone but there was still plenty to explore, with getting to the clock tower my main goal.

We had to duck a dive a bit initially as there were builders/secca visible on site and we had a hairy moment in one building when we came across some very fresh wet bootprints on the floor accompanied by another set of prints of the canine variety so I can only assume someone was doing the rounds with a dog but luckily we never saw any more of them than that.

It’s difficult to cover any of the best stuff from St Clements that hasn’t already been brilliantly reported so I’ve tried to show something different where possible.

Disclaimer: I’d had a very heavy night the night before with my last slugs of Jaeger being sunk only a few hours earlier and I was feeling a little delicate so apologies in advance for the wonky photos. :D

1 – Front of main building
ExteriorFront.jpg

2 – Rear building
ExteriorRear.jpg

3 – Clock Tower from rear building
MainBlockThroughWindow.jpg

4 – Stairwell
PeeleyPaintStairwell.jpg

5 – Psychiatric Intensive Care Ward
DorothyWatkinsonWardSign.jpg

6 – Emergency Key
EmergencyKey.jpg

7 – Secure Rooms
SecureRooms.jpg

8 – Day Room
QuietRoom.jpg

9 – Corridor
Corridor.jpg

10 – Documents
PatientRecord.jpg

11 – Bathroom
Bathroom.jpg

12 – Drugs Misuse Leaflet
DrugsLeaflet.jpg

13 – I Spy Secca!
SeccaSpying.jpg

14 – Clocktower Stairwell
ClocktowerStairwell.jpg

15 – View From The Clocktower (We had a nice relaxed break up here for a while with some amazing views across London)
ClocktowerView.jpg

16 – Clocktower Cogs
ClocktowerCogs.jpg

17 – View From The Roof
RooftopView.jpg

18 – Outbuilding
Outbuilding.jpg

19 – Old Cells?
CellDoor.jpg

20 – My explorer buddy Mr robg172
Robg172.jpg

21 – Piano
Piano.jpg

22 – Peeley Paint Fest
PeeleyPaintRoom.jpg

23 – Boiler House
BoilerHouse.jpg

24 – The Obligatory Stairwell Shot
Stairwell.jpg

25 – Thanks for visiting…
StClementsGraf.jpg

If you’re planning on visiting here I’d recommend doing it soon as it appears to be disappearing fast. Shame as it’s a nice site with some amazing history and atmosphere.

Hope you enjoyed! :thumb

The_Raw

Staff member
Liking this a lot mate, great selection of shots and looks like you made it round every bit that's still left worth seeing. It took me 6 visits to find those bloody cell doors! :thumb

Boomstick84

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Liking this a lot mate, great selection of shots and looks like you made it round every bit that's still left worth seeing. It took me 6 visits to find those bloody cell doors! :thumb

Thanks mate, much appreciated. Always enjoy your reports so coming from yourself that's quite the compliment! :thumb

Only part left we didn't manage to see was the front admin building which I was a little disappointed about but bar sneaking in through the open security office window we couldn't see any other way and thought that would really be taking the piss a bit! :D

Yeah those cell's are certainly hidden away, it was more luck than judgement that we found them. Pretty eerie place for them to be though...

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Top stuff :thumb

And Well done getting around everything (nearly) without being busted :) sure there's some more pics to come from the now infamous white chair ?

Somewhere I wanted to visit amongst other London attractions . But unfortunately my Visa application was turned down.

And always good to have a mate you can rely on ;)

UrbanDuck

Authorised Trespasser
28DL Full Member
Great report buddy and nice photos. Loved the chair photo so much it's now my avatar!

Looking forward to our next adventure :thumb

Boomstick84

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Top stuff :thumb

And Well done getting around everything (nearly) without being busted :) sure there's some more pics to come from the now infamous white chair ?

Somewhere I wanted to visit amongst other London attractions . But unfortunately my Visa application was turned down.

Thank you kind sir! :thumb

Haha, if you're alluding to some page 3 lovelies shots in the infamous white chair I'm afraid not, I'll leave that to the pros! :D

It's certainly good to be exploring with a fellow explorer now! Solo visits are fun but definitely far more intense.

Boomstick84

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report buddy and nice photos. Loved the chair photo so much it's now my avatar!

Looking forward to our next adventure :thumb

Thanks dude!

Glad you liked the photo. :)

Thanks again for a good day, deffo looking forward to the next one! :thumb

UrbanDuck

Authorised Trespasser
28DL Full Member
With the chair being so popular and with kind permission, may I present Mr Boomstick84..

DSC_0124_zps1a579ecd.jpg

The_Raw

Staff member
Thanks mate, much appreciated. Always enjoy your reports so coming from yourself that's quite the compliment! :thumb

Only part left we didn't manage to see was the front admin building which I was a little disappointed about but bar sneaking in through the open security office window we couldn't see any other way and thought that would really be taking the piss a bit! :D

Yeah those cell's are certainly hidden away, it was more luck than judgement that we found them. Pretty eerie place for them to be though...

Thanks man :thumb I crawled through dirt and cobwebs under the admin building but to no avail, there is however a way in but I never got round to doing it yet as it's a pain in the ass....

No idea what might have gone on in those cells, creepy indeed given the location....

You need a Visa to travel outside Yorkshire?? :D

Boomstick84

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks man :thumb I crawled through dirt and cobwebs under the admin building but to no avail, there is however a way in but I never got round to doing it yet as it's a pain in the ass....

Haha, we tried just about every option we could see but it never occurred to go under the building!:D Be awesome if you do ever get in there, would be very intrigued as to what it's like inside.

awesome!!!!

I like it!

Very nice. Love no.16 in particular :)

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback! :thumb

WhoDaresWins

Let's do this
Regular User

Pretty tucked away as I recall. Would really like to see more of this place.