real time web analytics
Report - - Walkleys Clog Mill - July 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Walkleys Clog Mill - July 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Robbo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited this rather interesting place recently. The usual wrecking by kids etc. But mostly intact, with some great pieces of machinery still in situ. Visited with penn, the building looked in good condition, the usual smashed windows & rot as you would expect, but overall a great explore. – The ball pool was a hoot.!

Some history

The building itself has been manufacturing cloggs since 1870, started by James Maude, his sons continued the business on after his death in 1914.
The Walkleys business was started by Frank Walkley in 1946. The main styles manufactured at that time were the Safety boot clog, Derby, Gibson and the Bar clog. With slipon styles being produced much later. In 1978 Frank Walkley bought out the famous Maude clog sole works in Hebden Bridge, a company that at its heyday had over 100 employees that turned nothing but clog soles! Walkey Clogs used the old machines for turning the wooden clog soles, and manufacturing the irons. The clog making skills used are those skills that have been passed down from generations of Walkley Clogs clog makers.

The clog factory was one of the Calder Valley's most popular tourist attractions during the 1980s but began to wind down during the 1990s after a devastating fire, December 1990.
The building has been closed for some time now, with apartment approval pending.

The pictures, hope you enjoy

There were old pictures of the mill everywhere, adverts & the like

walkley2ndvisit.jpg

The Basement

Walkley2ndvisit8-1.jpg

House of Horror - was wrecked by water ingress once inside

Walkley2ndvisit20.jpg

Walkley2ndvisit19-1.jpg

what a smile.!

Walkley2ndvisit18.jpg

Had to put her in the stocks

Walkley2ndvisit17.jpg

4b9477fa-38bb-43aa-ba94-710f5db441e1.jpg

The Ball Pool - loved it.!

WalkleyCloggs67.jpg

The wall of pictures

WalkleyCloggs64.jpg

Remember these...

WalkleyCloggs60.jpg

This was a Spitfire engine.!

WalkleyCloggs42-1.jpg

Apologies for the poor picture, it was pitch black. - The Spitfire engine.

WalkleyCloggs41.jpg

WalkleyCloggs38.jpg

WalkleyCloggs34.jpg

A machine

WalkleyCloggs32.jpg

WalkleyCloggs28.jpg

WalkleyCloggs27.jpg

WalkleyCloggs26.jpg

WalkleyCloggs19.jpg

WalkleyCloggs17.jpg

View attachment 605088

WalkleyCloggs23.jpg

WalkleyCloggs24.jpg

WalkleyCloggs36.jpg

View attachment 605092

WalkleyCloggs39.jpg

WalkleyCloggs62.jpg

WalkleyCloggs69.jpg

WalkleyCloggs18-1.jpg

WalkleyCloggs15.jpg

WalkleyCloggs11.jpg

How it used to look

WalkleyCloggs1.jpg

Thanks for looking

Last edited:

3domfighter

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice work, not too far from me, I can remember going in that place a few years ago shopping of all things or should I say just looking.

Cuuvin

28DL Colonial Member
28DL Full Member
Interesting place ... with airplane engines!?!
Umm, spitfire engine ? Spitfires had Rolls-Royce Merlins or in later marks, a Griffen. Inline "V" liquid cooled,like this

supermarine-spitfire-ix-engine.jpg

What we have here is an air cooled radial,
WalkleyCloggs41.jpg
possibly russian. looks like Cyrillic lettering on that name plate , with a "CCCP" on it.
WalkleyCloggs42.jpg
WalkleyCloggs42-1-nameplate_zps9710ead6.gif

Of course, Ordnance will probably come aboard & blow me out of the water, but i'd thought i'd give 'er a shot

Last edited:

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ah so this is the ace you were going to tell me about :)

Even I came here once £27 for some wooden Clogs ......sod that :)

Nice pics mate :thumb

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Jesus, that place looks like it chose some kind of shit "lets make a theme park out of our factory" marketing strategy that clearly failed! Beyond the ball pits and fake trees it actually looks a decent place. This was actually one of my many lists at some point, but I had forgotten all about it. Nice to finally see inside!

krissigalores

Poison Ivy
28DL Full Member
I'd probably have never left the ball pit. This is great, really different with lots to see! Loved it !

Robbo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There were signage for spitfires around so an assumption. I sit corrected.

Robbo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
yeah, this is the place, the doors have been ripped totally off so walk straight in. Don't know if secca will do owt about it

Robbo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
best get in quick, may get shuttered up as someone have ripped the doors off, we walked straight in

Robbo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
nice one, there were references to spitfires in the place, so an assumption.